Who makes the lowest distortion speaker drivers

Klippel is also doing research on compensating such nonlinearities. Not sure how far along the process they are. But Wolfgang Klippel did express his vision of how the technology would integrate a few years back during a class in Taiwan. I am hoping to do an analog version in a simpler manner for testing. Maybe it could also be done as part of a FIR filter, just need to play around with some things to find out.

Dr Geddes could you provide a link or reference of the work by Brian Moore? googling that name brings up a sci-fi author and a list of rugby players.

I don't know if this is him, looks interesting nonetheless :)
Professor Brian C. J. Moore, FMedSci, FRS — Department of Psychology

That is the correct person. He did a paper in JAES many years ago on the audibility of group delay. In that paper he mentions the "known" fact that its audibility is SPL dependent. I don't know if that paper has a reference to his claim, but he is one of the authorities in the field.

er uh, I'm not sure that a driver is a linear system. I believe that what I am saying is the basis for the Klippel tests. IOW some signals are more distortion inducing than others.

For example if a low frequency pushes a driver to its xmax, then that will cause distortion in other frequencies because the magnetic field changes. So then a subwoofer can make a two way have less distortion by removing the bass frequencies.

I'm pretty sure that's what I am hearing. The less a single driver has to work the more "effortless" it sounds. Horns have to move less, and are very light so sound quicker. Of course I could be wrong, but it does seem like a sine sweep isn't all that a driver has to do.

For the purposes of my claim, drivers are certainly linear enough. As to how audible nonlinearity is, I'll leave that subject to the archives.

Klippel is also doing research on compensating such nonlinearities. Not sure how far along the process they are. But Wolfgang Klippel did express his vision of how the technology would integrate a few years back during a class in Taiwan. I am hoping to do an analog version in a simpler manner for testing. Maybe it could also be done as part of a FIR filter, just need to play around with some things to find out.

Klippel did this back in the 90's. Problem was that it didn't make an audible difference (surprise, surprise!) Hence, it kind of died as a technology.

The Klippel approach (see Ph,D,.Thesis of Hans Schurer at the TU Twente in the Netherlands) is very driver-parameter sensitive. Every woofer has to be measured individually in order to map non-linear parameters (yes, non-linear: that is not a typo) making the work load very heavy, including individual programming of the digital feed-forward compensation.

Commercially hardly doable in this day and age.

Another explanation: It took you that long to convince yourself of what you wanted to hear. It can be a difficult thing to convince oneself of something false.

And yet another explanation, when the values are small and the # of things that need to be "just so" increase, its easy to "turn the dials" in the wrong direction.

I have high respect for yor input but I am very difficult person to convince of anything false.

Whats interesting to me is how many times I have experienced this phenom over the years. Many of thos times I was not at all looking to hear what I wanted from it. And on two seperate ocasions on two different systems, when such a "realism" was achieved, someone else not involved and with no idea what was going on, stop what they were doing to voice an opinion consistant with what I believe I was hearing.

I dont claim to know enough to say without question that this was always just a precise FR alignment, but the # of times it has happened seems to argue that those FR details were dicernable and important.

That is the correct person. He did a paper in JAES many years ago on the audibility of group delay. In that paper he mentions the "known" fact that its audibility is SPL dependent. I don't know if that paper has a reference to his claim, but he is one of the authorities in the field.
I did a little googling and found a reference to what may be "that paper" in this writing by Linkwitz, in the third paragraph of section D - Room and baffle reflections:
Frontiers

[2] Brian C.J. Moore, "Controversies and mysteries in spatial hearing", Proc. AES 16th International Conf., Rovaniemi, 1999, "Spatial sound reproduction", pp. 249-258

But any change in amplitude of a sinewave from a lower amplitude to higher or vica versa results in the production of more sinewaves at different frequencies whose spectrum depend on the apparent rate of amplitude change of the original sinewave....

What? Did we just make the jump to radio transmission?

I have never seen this on a scope of say a linear amplifier. Increasing and decreasing the amplitude simply increases the output voltage, nothing more.

Barry.

Klippel did this back in the 90's. Problem was that it didn't make an audible difference (surprise, surprise!) Hence, it kind of died as a technology.

I don’t recall seeing any published paper on this because his papers on distributed parameters seem to have appeared at a later date.

The Klippel approach (see Ph,D,.Thesis of Hans Schurer at the TU Twente in the Netherlands) is very driver-parameter sensitive. Every woofer has to be measured individually in order to map non-linear parameters (yes, non-linear: that is not a typo) making the work load very heavy, including individual programming of the digital feed-forward compensation.

Commercially hardly doable in this day and age.

This is where Klippel measurement technology came in. The idea was to monitor the parameters while the speaker was playing so it would adjust itself. However, possibly it might need a different approach to the compensation. The parameters do not change so often, thus it may not be necessary to use such a processing intensive approach.

You're not doing it fast enough then ;) Or try it with a very low frequency and vary the amplitude up and down, the trace will no longer be a sine wave, you could make the beam jump all over the place :)

I’m not buying it.

As long as I dont jump the trace off the screen, it’s still a sign. If the freqency stays the same, the fact that the area of the screen the trace takes up changes with magnatude ie going from a landscape to portrait with increasing magnitude does not change the period or introduce new frequencies.

I’m pretty sure you would have to drive something in the system into harmonic or IM distortion to introduce new frequencies.

Barry.