Who makes the lowest distortion speaker drivers

No!

i lost sleep again cause now i need to understand a new system of classification with respect to distortion.
i have a question that may help me understand something about loudspeaker distortion.

removing the room and box i'm left with a driver/speaker.
now on it's own the loudspeaker is still subject to problems such as shape geometry, mechanical properties, impedance etc (if there are factors i'm missing here please tell me).
so now i have a device that is the sum total of all linear and non linear properties which comprise it.
so is it wrong to conclude that the device's linear properties are affected by it's non linear properties?

And the DUT has been changed by the measurement regime used as well.
We are all like blind men fondling different appendages of the same elephant, while trying to determine collectively what it is.

Regards,
WHG

we're all supposed to be blind how do you know which color the elephant is?
i knew there was something people weren't telling me.... is it because i'm french?

or is it that the WAF faction has formed a secret kabal to keep this information from men?

Last edited:
By Design

we're all supposed to be blind how do you know which color the elephant is?
i knew there was something people weren't telling me.... is it because i'm french?

or is it that the WAF faction has formed a secret kabal to keep this information from men?

there is no conspiracy going on here, we are just trying to get the greasy watermelon out of our swimming pool!

Regards,
WHG

i think the elephant is sitting on my head...

Is it some school assignment that requires you to clearly define all this. Really, scholars just find a topic and put a fancy hat on for generalization fancy talk.... what most do for a living. Engineers tactical the problem and clearly try to distinguish one case from another. So how do you categorize yourself?

Production/QC/QA Test vs Design & Test

I did have a driver sent to them to see if a defect could be discovered, but it was not. The DUT had a surround that had some missing glue where it connects to the basket. I think the method is good for rub and buzz which is related with assembly tolerance control issue.

A Design & Test Process has an entirely different mission than that occurring on a production line and certainly is not in the moment; while at the end of production line, and at points along the way, we are testing for out of spec conditions so that faulty product does not reach the customer and end up as costly returns later. To determine the cause of the imperfection, and implement corrective action, typically takes a bit longer and is done off-line only if the reject rate is high enough. If you test for driver air leaks you will find them, but until you inspect the driver you will not know why. If it is the result of a bonding process just running out glue, the unit will simply be discarded and production will be continued with no further action taken, except of course for glue replenishment.

Regards,
WHG

Last edited:
The point is, you know what the problem is first, then you might use some form of distortion measurement to detect it in line. Purely understanding what the terminology means really has no use but for academic purposes.

I don't think that's all there is to it. Every profession has it's own specialized language. Doctors, lawyers, pilots, engineers, mathematicians, and so on. Sometimes there is a need to communicate accurately, and have clear understanding.

Around here, misunderstandings seem to lead to a lot of arguments. One person thinks they are saying one thing and it means something very different to another person reading it. We have already talked a whole lot trying to arrive at some shared understanding of what we mean when we say linear distortion. We have heard at least a couple of this-is-what-it-means-to-me-personally posts, neither of which were the same as each other or the same as the engineering meaning.

There is a good reason for it, seems to me. But, I would agree that engineers in small engineering groups often learn what each other mean pretty quickly after they work together for a bit. But that can vary quite a bit.

Academia Matters

The point is, you know what the problem is first, then you might use some form of distortion measurement to detect it in line. Purely understanding what the terminology means really has no use but for academic purposes.

We are all pigmies standing on the shoulders of giants. The learning (academic) process comes first as it is a prerequisite to what ever comes next and the sole determinant of the degree of success of the undertaking. Most of us must do our homework and pass the test so we receive the credentials necessary to be left loose to move on to the fun stuff.

Regards,
WHG

Last edited:
We are all pigmies standing on the shoulders of giants. The learning (academic) process comes first as it is a prerequisite to what ever comes next and the sole determinant of the degree of success of the undertaking. Most of us must do our homework and pass the test so we receive the credentials necessary to be left loose to move on to the fun stuff.

Regards,
WHG
sorry if i'm peeing in the pool again.
i take it that unless someone has some form of academic accreditation in a related field they should not engage in discussions on loudspeaker distortion?

Why? What's wrong with someone pointing to a relevant paper? Just because someone doesn't have a relevant qualification it doesn't mean they have nothing to offer, they may understand the subject very well and be able to communicate their understanding to us in a better way than someone with a qualification.