Who makes the lowest distortion speaker drivers

Here we have the specs. and graphs for the Bandor 50 units Hope you can see enough to of use!

Attachments

• 0A5C9196-2B86-43F0-8CFF-609546BA11FF.jpg
    0A5C9196-2B86-43F0-8CFF-609546BA11FF.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 279
  • D52E445A-8334-44A3-97F7-85CFC4BD1CB0.jpg
    D52E445A-8334-44A3-97F7-85CFC4BD1CB0.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 278
this deserves a thread of it's own there is just so much wrong with that it's astounding.

back to low distortion in loudspeakers...

I'd disagree.

As you minimise capsule size, the noise levels must increase. With studios routinely applying 20-30dB of compression, that can start to become a problem.

The dynamic mics I've worked on have of the order of 1mm Xmax. Since they're sometimes subject to SPLs of the order of 150dB, I suspect that gets used in full from time-to-time.

Happy to start a new thread on this. I think it'd be an interesting discussion.

Chris

so which models are your designs?

This should be a new thread, its starting to descend into the usual negativity.

Hi ZeroD,
they were on eBay and are in near perfect condition. Especially the cones which are extremely vulnerable to damage. I paid £40.00 approx. for the pair. I’m quite happy with this and am looking forward to hearing what they can do.

What.. If they are in good working order you have a real bargain there. The cone design is as good as any full range today and bandor were first to use anodized metal cones. Imo the treble and upper mids betters the small jordans and mark audio drivers

Last edited:
Bill Poster..........£20.00 each plus postage is worthwhile for a bit of unique handmade audio history. A moving mass of 2 grams gives a great impulse response so they should be very nice to listen too. Crossover is around 150Hz although a tad higher might be worth it. I have some Hi-Vi D 6.8 mid/bass drivers that might work well with these for the bottom end.

No enclosure yet.....just got them recently so working on non-parallel sided 2 litre box of some sort......I have two 30 cm diameter spheres made of 25mm thick plaster that have an internal volume of 7 litres that I could modify to accommodate these drivers. Non- parallel sides could be made internally, reducing the volume to two litres. As good as it gets diffraction externally from the spherical surface with these drivers mght yield some interesting results!

Law of physics always wins versus marketing, and all loudspeakers drivers are designed to achieve a low THD rate.

According to Zaph's tests satori/sbacoustics drivers have low non-linear distortion.

The second statement is just wrong, some are designed for large bandwidth, some for flatter response over a given, some for high power handling, some for low non-linear but acceptable linear distortion.

Dynavox makes a driver that has a very flat response and a natural roll-off, great for series crossovers. What is the non-linear distortion? IDK but probably not great.

BTW I do have "array" speakers and I would say they have noticeably low distortion, but some of that is the distribution of sound energy over a wider area and lack of floor ceiling bounce, which creates a smooth spacious effect. Recommended if you have the space.

Last edited:
The recommended box is between 1.5 and 2 litres as far as I know. I’ll test them with a Dayton Audio Woofer Testerto check T/S parameters but I’ll avoid using the ‘added mass’ technique for VAS because of the cone fragility.
I’m not going to try and fill a large room with sound so I’ll probably only put a few watts through them. I have most of the necessary to build an ACA Class A which will power these perfectly.

How do you find the Eikona’s?