• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Who knows where to get 1200v Silicon Carbide Schottkys ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
YOU CAN HAVE A LAUGH NOW...

Hi,

I haven' t understood , don't know what means digititis , i don't

Digititis; most digital sources suffer from jitter, harshness in the mid to highs, lack of soundstage depth.
In short, it just doesn't sound natural.

That's probably why so many people resort to valved outputstages for their DAC/CDP....which in turn makes me laugh because I much favour vinyl replay.

So, don't think I was making fun of you, digital playback is sad enough as it is.:rolleyes:

Cheers,;)

I'm sorry , Master Fdegrove !

It happens that the friend of mine , in which system i use to play my tweaks ( not much , mostly Audiocom's voltage regulators, and Superclocks , we fitted one even at his Rotel DVD) has a Sonic Frontiers SFD2 DAC with the finest TFK E808CC Gold pin /6dj8 output , then a 6SN7 preamp with Silver foil
signal caps , tantalum resistors , ELMA switch attenuator , Black Gate , enough for killing a lot of digititis , but with a lot of digit(i)s
$ and € . I m explained .

Regards

Im a fan of digital stuff and i haven t enough patience for vinyl and his ever associated static problem , cleaning fluids , pads , thin hairs that insist be played with the disc . At this very moment , i am running an ASUS nforce chipset motherboard assembled by myself,with the best computer imbeded sound ever . I have a
Pioneer DVD-R in it , and guess what , i m trying to burn DVD Audio format , when i reach that point , thats the turn to get myself a Denon DVD AUDIO to play with. Valve sound get that
overdose of musical information to coherence .Thats my point .

Regards

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Im a fan of digital stuff and i haven t enough patience for vinyl and his ever associated static problem , cleaning fluids , pads , thin hairs that insist be played with the disc

Nothing's ever perfect but the little problems you're citing are easily taken care off.

At the risk of threadjacking, as I said digital replay problems are quite complex but just as analogue reply alot of them have to do with PRAT; pace, rithm and timing.

The rest is more mechanical and also disrespect of implicite standards.

There's more to it than just that of course but analogue suffers from a different set of problems; not the least a disrespect of the audience or buying public...

Once you hear a CD or LP recorded as it should've been you'll know that 99% is just crap.

It's been like this for ages which is why I'm skeptical.

Anyway, back to the Union Carbide diodes...;)

Sonny and cheers, :cool:

Hi,

A vacuum diode is a near ideal diode with substantial series resistance. The SiC diodes are almost ideal diodes with virtually no series resistance. Try using a resistor in series with the SiC’s. This can help dampen eventually HF ringing. For the pre amp find a series resistance that gives the same HV as the vacuum diode. Curious if the differences are then still that large.

Cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The SiC diodes are almost ideal diodes with virtually no series resistance. Try using a resistor in series with the SiC’s.

These Schottky diodes shouldn't need any snubbers since they don't exhibit the same problems (HF peaks) the regular diodes do.

They're not drop in replacements for vacuum diodes so HT rails should be adjusted or, better still, other xformers should be used altogether.

Good tought there, and maybe a diode in series with a standard silicon rectifier will make a difference.

If you meant a resistor in series with a regular rectifier diode, then, yes, it may help dampen ringing.
So do snubber networks when proportioned correctly.

Cheers,;)

There is more under the hood. If the PSU consist of a full wave rectifier from two secondary windings, the diode switching can cause ringing of the leakage inductance + parasitic capacitance of the transformer. This also happens with ideal switching diodes.

But anyway series resistance helps reducing peak currents in the transformer in the case of a (mostly used) C - L - C smoothing network.

Cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

There is more under the hood. If the PSU consist of a full wave rectifier from two secondary windings, the diode switching can cause ringing of the leakage inductance + parasitic capacitance of the transformer. This also happens with ideal switching diodes.

The whole point of using valved rectifiers and Schottkys is that you don't have switching effect on the PSU.

Powerxformers can still exhibit some ring under certain condition but you're going to need some O-scope to see this and then snub it out with an appropriate cap acroos the secundary.

Forgive me , in what way can ringing affect sound ?! Does it affect more bass or medium high ?

Mostly HF, you usually notice it once it's gone...;)

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.