who knows how to deal with amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i wanna know what a bridged amp means, and if you have a 1000 watt amp cant you hook up 4 subs to it so that you can have 1000 watts to each

can you hook up a amp and sub system like that so you can have 4 subs w/1000 watts each

EX: amp----[+sub+sub+sub+sub]
[-sub-sub-sub-sub]

I'll tell you now, I'm not the most experienced with audio even though I'd like to get better, seeing as is there are no posts, I'll give you, what i think, to be the correct deffinition of everything your asking. First of all, a bridged amp...that means that if you take your channels, you can combine them to get a single positive output and a negative input and increase the wattage produced by your amp. So if your amp says "1000 watts bridged" that means when you select "bridged" on the amp you might get 1000 watts to your speaker. However, I've heard from other people on diy that the companies lie about this number and it might not be exactly the true amount of power output......

To answer your next question, you would be setting up your subs in "series" This can actually reduce the power supplied to each sub. I dont know if your familiar with electrical equations or if your familiar with ohms and resistance and its effect on amps? I'll assume you have no idea that way if you truly dont your not confused if i assume you do (haha that made no sense). Anyway, your number of ohms is your resistance placed on an amp. Most subs are either 4 or 8 ohms by themselves. When you wire two resistors (speakers) in series, as you would like to do, you need to find the "equivalent resistance" that the amp will be "seeing"....for series, you add the resistance...so two 4 ohm speakers in series would be 8 ohms. Whenever resistance is raised, the amp supplies less power. If you were to wire the amps in series, you have (1/R1) +(1/R2) = (1/Req)...eq is equivalence...what the amp "sees" So this means if you have two 4 ohm resistors in paralell you have (1/4) + (1/4) = (1/Req)...and so (1/2) = (1/Req) and so your resitance is 2...most amps at 2 ohms being told to distrubute a lot of power will overheat....so what you were asking, could you wire 4 subs to a 1000 watt bridged amp and send 1000 watts to each sub...im sure you could but you would blow your amp VERY quickly...I really hope I helped you out (I am also interest in car audio and designing sound systems) if you wanna talk about this more and you have AIM, you can IM me at djdfa...or email me at smilow@umail.ucsb.edu If anyone reads my reply and notices I'm wrong, please let both me AND cbosek know. thank you

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.