• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Who is interested in a groupbuy of Mark Kelly's DC controller PCB and related parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SisterOfMercy said:
Because I'm looking around for a motor controller for my bix turntable (and maybe an other motor too) I found this topic. Is there any chance I can still get the parts+pcb or only the pcb?

PCB yes, I still have 8 sets available.

At this stage all the available kits are committed. I have to bring some of the parts in from the US (although that might change as I have found that the Dale resistors are non-ROHS compliant) which makes shipping very expensive, so it isn't worth doing less than 20 at a time. I will start a "waiting list", if we get 20 more we'll do it again.

The full schematic is up on my website , I claim no rights to the circuit, you are welcome to design your own PCB. It isn't worth trying to use my design, it's double sided with plated through holes so it needs to be made by a board house. To get the price I got I had to commit to a minimum of 40 boards - the one-off prototypes cost me $USD 60+ per time.

I do not mind being in the waiting list, put me there. I will also be looking at getting the motor (is it a maxon or some other?) too.

I took a look at the PCBs and all the other stuff at Mark's website, cool. Mark:Where is the TT mechanics stuff, only an intro para there. Wouldn't mind that at all.

The platter/bearing costs I see on the web, coupled to the dificulty in paying for stuff, and shipping it to Kenya, from the US seems to indicate that I may have to do some rudimentary platter/bearing work locally (I shudder at the thought!)

Mark Kelly said:
PCB yes, I still have 8 sets available.

I claim no rights to the circuit, you are welcome to design your own PCB. It isn't worth trying to use my design, it's double sided with plated through holes so it needs to be made by a board house. To get the price I got I had to commit to a minimum of 40 boards - the one-off prototypes cost me $USD 60+ per time.

I thought I read the PCB design was quite critical for the performance of the controller.

Mark Kelly said:
At this stage all the available kits are committed. I have to bring some of the parts in from the US (although that might change as I have found that the Dale resistors are non-ROHS compliant) which makes shipping very expensive, so it isn't worth doing less than 20 at a time. I will start a "waiting list", if we get 20 more we'll do it again.

I've checked the local electronics shop, and they are able to supply me with the most parts, so I think I'll opt for the PCB only.

Pulleys

Looks like the project is moving along except for the pulley.

May I suggest that there are a number of shops in the Detroit area capable of aerospace tolerances who might be interested in some work?

As a former program manager in the auto industry, I can attest to the fact that some of these facilities can work miracles.

Thanks to Bas, Mark and Superhkm for making this happen.

From one of 2.6 million Google returns for the query "Aerospace tolerances":

"typical aerospace tolerances of 0.001" (0.03 mm) true position, 0.0005" (0.013 mm) diameter, and surface profile of 0.002" (0.06 mm) apply".

Point being, there are lots of excellent shops looking for any work at all in Detroit these days. Maybe we could get a small lot done for money we can afford to spend.

Just a thought.

Seth

Seth Hensel said:
From one of 2.6 million Google returns for the query "Aerospace tolerances":

"typical aerospace tolerances of 0.001" (0.03 mm) true position, 0.0005" (0.013 mm) diameter, and surface profile of 0.002" (0.06 mm) apply".

Point being, there are lots of excellent shops looking for any work at all in Detroit these days. Maybe we could get a small lot done for money we can afford to spend.

Just a thought.

Seth
I guess the fact that GM and Ford have laid off a lot over the past few years would free up many small shops in the area but its true for every region in the country.
How much do you think is reasonable to pay for a pulley, quantity of 25-30?
Concentricity within 0.0005" and bore diameter +000/-0.0002"

superhkm said:
if someone could spec the pulley and sketch a section of it, I can produce a cad model, dxf, dwg or dgn.
hk

I told Mark I would be willing to make pulleys if everyone would agree on the same design. When I made the 110191 prototype for my table I decided on using opposing set screws rather than press fit. The cost would be $25-$30 depending on design.
I would also like to send them to one location in order to distribute among members. Unfortunately my shop is pretty busy right now so I don't have time to ship to separate locations.

The challenge is not in making the pulley so much, but in deciding what type of mounting plate will be used since the maxon motor mounting holes are on a tight bolt circle pattern. Here is a screenshot of my CAD model showing my setup. I am using 1/4" plate with M2 flathead screws. The vertical line on the left side shows the centerline of 1 of the mounting screws.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is an image of the pulley. Look closely at the mounting screws. They will not be accessible if you press fit the pulley onto
the motor shaft.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Pulley Distribution

Vinyl-Addict,

I vote for a bronze pulley. I have found that bronze anti-skate weights do reduce resonance through the tonearm. I suspect the same resonance principal would apply to the pulley and platter relationship.

I would be willing to distribute the pulleys but need to work out the shipping costs for members and the business mechanics with you. Please email me so we can begin a dialog.

Thanks for your kind offer to manufacture.

To make this easier for Bas, anyone who wants to be on the wait list for PCBs or kits should post to the thread and I will contact you through asylum email asking for your email / paypal address.

Damn this kit thing sucks. I spend some time yesterday afternoon sorting 950 tiny little resistors (when you see how small the coding on the Vishay / Dale resistors is you'll understand) and 350 capacitors into bags. When I got to the end I found I had one orphan resistor on the table. It took almost as long to find its home as it did to do the sorting in the first place.

Having now counted everything twice I am confident that the passives part numbers for the kits are correct. I am waiting on the PCBs and some of the active devices.

mjounot said:
Mark
I would like one set of PCBs, and put me on waiting list for parts.
Thanks

Mike

As of now I have three unconfirmed requests for two remaining PCB sets. I have emailed all three of you, it's first in best dressed.

GroupBuy

Mark,

Bas forwarded my email to you yesterday but given your request above I will just repeat. As I understand the process there are actually two PCBs in the $20 price below, the controller pcb and the adjuster pcb.

PCB:20 us$
PARTS:80 us$

DiyAudio username: JRags
Paypal address: removed for security reasons
Amount of PCB pair: 1
Sets of parts to populate the PCB's: 1

Thank you for your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.