Which way to choose: Comparisons Chip/Class D/SE DHT ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've allways been a SS believer, until I discovered (what were back than) the latest chips. SS is if you ask me less suitable for class D as low inductance traces and leads are very important. So I also started to put more value into SMD components...

not to mention the million other advantages of class D.....

By the way primary power supply is far less important to have well stabilised and noise free with class D than the 5V section (due to high PSRR, low ESR caps are very welcome though..).... Most of the PSU for 41hz amps can be pretty basic, the 5V section can have an LM317 based separate supply that doesn't have to deliver much current.....

How do you like your Prometheus?I am considering them seriously.
I like them very much. Dynamic and with a great big soundstage but also detailed, versatile and musical...

I am surprised with such a high sensitivity and powered subwoofers you still found the ss amps had better Prat.
So was I. But in my audiophile/non EE language I explain it thus. Yes they are sensitive. But there is still a biggish driver to be controlled. The drivers as you know are extensively modified by Robert Bastani. But they are not the ultralite cones of say a fostex or lowther or whatever. And while they can sound very very dynamic with SE...if you compare them straight afterwards with a PP amp or transistor amplifier you do hear the cone is being controlled better. But as you know each amplifier has it's pro's and cons. Horses for courses as the Americans say.

The Prometheus needs something like 1-2 watts to sound very loud i.e. 98-100db AND the low freq is powered by a 250W plate amp, so theoretically the SE is idling along right?
It is idling along only in the sense of the volume. I.e. at 1-2 watt's in a typical room you'll have sufficient dB's. And the caveat here is the reply in the paragraph above.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.