Which Tri Path Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool! :D

It makes me happy to read that, as I had a hand in the early design stages of the Virtue - and am heavily involved in the current update to version 1.1. It's a great amp.

But of course it isn't a DIY amp. A lot of guys have asked my about modding the Virtue - I say "don't bother". It's pretty well maximized.

And ALL T-amps respond well to better power supplies. Generally speaking, the higher the current rating of the power supply, the wider and fuller the image sounds. Other qualities like good vocals, lower glare, tonal balance, etc. tend to get better as the current goes up, but not always. I've listened to a lot of different PSUs, and that's been my experience.

panomaniac said:
Cool! :D

It makes me happy to read that, as I had a hand in the early design stages of the Virtue - and am heavily involved in the current update to version 1.1. It's a great amp.

But of course it isn't a DIY amp. A lot of guys have asked my about modding the Virtue - I say "don't bother". It's pretty well maximized.

And ALL T-amps respond well to better power supplies. Generally speaking, the higher the current rating of the power supply, the wider and fuller the image sounds. Other qualities like good vocals, lower glare, tonal balance, etc. tend to get better as the current goes up, but not always. I've listened to a lot of different PSUs, and that's been my experience.

Hi,

Do you know what chipset is Virtue based on? It could have been mentioned before I must have missed it.

thanks.

This must largely due to successful TC2001/TP2050(STA505) combination.
Many highly praised amps are based on these combination including Red Wine Audio 30/70.

So...for DIY Tripath amp, I have very good experience with 41Hz amp4 and amp11.
Which are based on TC2001/TP2050 chips, very good layout and high qulity caps.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
ttan98 said:
Do you know what chipset is Virtue based on?

Yes. The Virtue ONE uses the Tripath TA2051 for power - one for each channel. The TWO uses the DDX2100, also one per channel (for more current handling than a single chip). Version 1.1 will use the DDX chip for both the ONE and TWO.

Controller is Tripath TC2000 on both amps.

For building from scratch, I also like the 41Hz kits. Good board designs, good price, a great kit.

panomaniac said:

Yes. The Virtue ONE uses the Tripath TA2051 for power - one for each channel. The TWO uses the DDX2100, also one per channel (for more current handling than a single chip). Version 1.1 will use the DDX chip for both the ONE and TWO.

For building from scratch, I also like the 41Hz kits. Good board designs, good price, a great kit.

Thanks for your response.

You have some experience in the design of Virtue amplifier, I am not sure whether there is a conflict of interest, my suggestion is that you may like to give advice to those you may want to upgrade the Sure 2050/2000 combo so that it can "compete" or as good the Virtue amp.

I am interested in buying the Sure amp.

panomaniac said:

From the datasheet of DX2100,
http://www.apogeemems.com/ddx/PDFs/DDX-2100.pdf
I think it is almost or exactly the same as tripath TP2050, and STMicroelectronics STA505.
Pin compatible, same spec., same absolute maximum...
Interestingly, on paper the performace of DDX2100 with DDX8001 controller is not as good as TP2050 with TC2000 controller.
So I suspect that TC2000 may be a better control IC and maybe this is the reason that Virtue ONE/TWO still use old TC2000 as control stage.

ttan98 said:

my suggestion is that you may like to give advice to those you may want to upgrade the Sure 2050/2000 combo so that it can "compete" or as good the Virtue amp.

I am interested in buying the Sure amp.

The components on sure amp are far from perfection.
Let alone you are likely to damage the PCB, the trace while modifying.
And the layout is also not designed for modifying.
If you are able to mod Sure amp, I believe you can solder 41hz amp4/amp11.

So my advise is :
DIY: go for amp4 amp11.
Turn-key: go for virtue amp, Red wine audio.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
longitude said:
I think it is almost or exactly the same as tripath TP2050, and STMicroelectronics STA505.

Correct sir!!

So I suspect that TC2000 may be a better control IC and maybe this is the reason that Virtue ONE/TWO still use old TC2000 as control stage.

It's the sound, not the specs.

The DDX contoller chips are a different animal. Digital only in. Can do PWM of DDX style switching. I happen to like them a lot. So do a number of other folks on this forum. ST now make the chips with DDX in them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.