Which thinner I can use to dilute the Elmers rubber cement ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why coat the speaker cones, and why with Contact Cement?

If you want a very thin controlled coating try rubberized plastic. I use a somewhat generic Rubberize-It. This is very similar to the colored plastic that you dip the handles of tools into. Anther brand is Plasti-Dip which is the more common and better brand.

The spray versions goes on in a very thin even coating, and they come in a variety of colors. I happen to have blue, but black, yellow, white, red, gun metal, clear, etc... are available.

So are you coating the speaker for some reason or are you trying to effect a repair of some type?

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
EDIT - and be careful do this in a well ventilated space if you must.

I don’t know if Scott’s warning is driven solely by health worries (not to breath the fumes which is serious indeed-liver damage) but there is one more reason for having strong ventilation.
The coil is attached to the coil former via an adhesive which may be affected by the vapors (or the liquid) of a solvent applied on the cone.
The possible effect on the adhesive is not immediately obvious.

George

I don’t know if Scott’s warning is driven solely by health worries (not to breath the fumes which is serious indeed-liver damage)

George

Since my office was just repainted and recarpeted I was thinking of the fumes. If he really wants to use the rubber cement Bestine is his best bet. Union Carbide claims that it does not attack most plastics, but you never know.

I still say there is no better way than the Spray Rubberized Plastic for getting a controlled uniform coat. The Rubberize-It I have goes on in a very uniform and thin coat. With thin coats, you can add multiple coats until you have a thickness that servers your needs. But remember it is probably better to have one less coat than you need, rather than one more coat than you need.

Further is dries in seconds, so no lingering fumes to contend with.

Also, this type of spray is readily available and very cheap. I got mine at Home Depot, but many many hardware, general merchandise, and building supply store will have some variation of it.

Plasti-Dip comes in assorted colors including Clear and Black.

Do check it out. It might be worth buying a can and spraying a paper plate or something to get an idea of the possibilities.

If you need to mask off part of the speaker, along with the more common Masking Tape, also consider 'Post-It Cling Film'. This is standard cling film that has a mild 'Post-It'-like adhesive on it. I think there might be a version of this specifically for masking in automotive applications, but off-the-shelf from the grocery store will work fine.

The brand I have is GLAD - Press'N Seal.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.