Which sound card has an SPDIF output comparable to an expensive CD Player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Download a DTS encoded wav file. Play it and connect your digital ouput to a DTS capable reciever. If all you hear is static, you don't have bit-perfect data. 9 times out of ten your computer will fail. You have to have a native ASIO soundcard AND have it configured correctly. Without the DTS test you are shooting in the dark. The difference in SQ with proper ASIO is huge. Much bigger impact than any amount of jitter could cause.

Recently, I discovered that the s/pdif outputs of all my audio interface devices are a lot inferior to the digital output from my Philips universal dvd player ($90).

The Philips makes the sounds better in every aspect, particularly cleaner, from having less noise / jitter. You can easily hear differences from a headphones set. My reference system includes the OMZ DAC/HEADAMP/PREAMP and the JVC DX1000 cans. The interface devices I tested include:

1. M-Audio Firewire Solo <= sounds the same as to the USB version
2. M-Audio Audiophile USB <= cheaper than the Firewire version
3. Creative 5.1 Live!! USB <= the noisiest s/pdif output :dead:
4. Creative Audigy2 PCI card
5. On-board optical s/pdif <= the second lowest rank
6. Philips universal DVD player

A friend of mine even re-comfirmed my discovery by transferring his lossless music files to a CD for testing. He was so surprised by the differences :bigeyes:

I doubt that there exists a perfect s/pdif audio interface on a computer. Now I'm back to an old-fashioned machanical transport, for the best reproduction.

Someone said to me "That's what a Mac is for". Another one said "Get the $1,299.99 RME Fireface 400 or the $185 ESI Juli@ card". But I'm very doubtful about them too.

The CD/DVD transport technology has become very well known, and the components have been mass production for years. you can proove this yourself by watching Spider Man 3 with 5.1 DTS sounds at home, using any universal DVD player (bundled with your HT system).

Attachments

• m-audio.jpg
    m-audio.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 297
Recently, I discovered that the s/pdif outputs of all my audio interface devices are a lot inferior to the digital output from my Philips universal dvd player ($90).

The Philips makes the sounds better in every aspect, particularly cleaner, from having less noise / jitter. You can easily hear differences from a headphones set. My reference system includes the OMZ DAC/HEADAMP/PREAMP and the JVC DX1000 cans. The interface devices I tested include:

1. M-Audio Firewire Solo <= sounds the same as to the USB version
2. M-Audio Audiophile USB <= cheaper than the Firewire version
3. Creative 5.1 Live!! USB <= the noisiest s/pdif output :dead:
4. Creative Audigy2 PCI card
5. On-board optical s/pdif <= the second lowest rank
6. Philips universal DVD player

A friend of mine even re-comfirmed my discovery by transferring his lossless music files to a CD for testing. He was so surprised by the differences :bigeyes:

I doubt that there exists a perfect s/pdif audio interface on a computer. Now I'm back to an old-fashioned machanical transport, for the best reproduction.

Someone said to me "That's what a Mac is for". Another one said "Get the $1,299.99 RME Fireface 400 or the $185 ESI Juli@ card". But I'm very doubtful about them too.

The CD/DVD transport technology has become very well known, and the components have been mass production for years. you can proove this yourself by watching Spider Man 3 with 5.1 DTS sounds at home, using any universal DVD player (bundled with your HT system).
I'm stunt to hear that, but I had the same discoverie. My cheap dvd player sound way better then my computer!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.