Which small speaker design for large room?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've ordered the CSS EL70's, the deal on the creativesound.ca website seemed pretty good (two drivers, ports, hook up wire and binding posts for $99). But now I'm choosing between building the Mar-Kel or a typical ported bass reflex. Are there any pro's for the latter compared to the former?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But now I'm choosing between building the Mar-Kel or a typical ported bass reflex. Are there any pro's for the latter compared to the former?

Only that they will be easier to build.

BTW, Chris took home the Classic GR Mar-Ken12s (with Alpair 12eN), for the break. They performed VERY well in his big room, but in the small room, he felt the Mar-Kel70 (with EL70eN) edged them out -- puts the EL70 in some pretty elite company :).

dave

Only that they will be easier to build.

BTW, Chris took home the Classic GR Mar-Ken12s (with Alpair 12eN), for the break. They performed VERY well in his big room, but in the small room, he felt the Mar-Kel70 (with EL70eN) edged them out -- puts the EL70 in some pretty elite company :).

dave

To elaborate, the "big" room (320ft^3 / 2560ft^3) is for the video system, currently powered by 2channel Rotel RB850 amp; while the effective area of small room is approx 1/2 that, amps rotate between EL34 SET and 2A3 / 300B DHT, and listening is mostly acoustic /small jazz combo music only. So there's a big difference in venue, program material and intention/focus.

The Alpairs shine in the larger space, and almost 10 times the driving power doesn't hurt either. Now I need to get off the pot and set up the new AV receiver and sort out center channel driver/design - but I've been threatening that for months now.

happy fonken new year y'all

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.