• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which probes for my first scope?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are the settings I used for channel 2:
- volt/div = 5m (selector below this knob set to DC)
- Var/Unical = off
- Vert mode = channel 2
- Time/Div & Delay time = 0.02us
- horizontal display = A
- A Trigger Level = 0
- Source = Ch2
- Coupling = DC
- Holdoff = Normal
- Trig Mode = Auto

Placing one end of the wire inside the centre of the input plug and the other end on the cal bridge(and after focusing and positioning the wave) I do get a strange ripple wave on the screen, it may just be the wire that's picking up interference somewhere. Anyways the trigger lamp does come on. The same sort of thing happens with channel 1 except that the A trigger level doesn't behave the same way, I have to turn that knob towards the right side inorder to get the trigger lamp on and view a ripple waveform on the screen.

Does all this mean the scope is working properly?

That's looking better! Can't tell if that is the peak or the trough of the waveform though.
Adjust the intensity and focus so the trace isn't so hot (unless that was just for the photograph). Then raise the Volts/Div to try and get a full wavelength on the screen. I wouldn't worry too much about seeing the rising and falling edges at this point. When you get a full wavelength, you can use the vertical and horizontal Position knobs to align it with the graticule. The waveform should measure the calibration frequency and voltage.

I think I have the chance to see what my scope can do. I've got a bassman clone on the bench that tends to whistle at high volumes, the bright channel, treble and presence seem to be the main victims, though I think it may just be where I placed the NFB wire. Anyways I'd just like to start using my scope on real equipment... the question is... how?

thanks

Just got my P6063B probe and this is what I'm getting on the scope:

18042013523 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

How come the rise and fall are still missing? They're just barely visible on the angles of the horizontal lines... is this normal?

thanks

If you want to see the rise or fall, just crank the timebase to a higher speed. That will spread the signal out, horizontally. Adjust the horiz position or trigger level until the potion you want is positioned where you want it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.