Which pa speaker is the best for deep bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Eminence: Kappa 15,Kappa pro 15,Kappa pro 15 lf,Kappa 18,
Sigma pro 18,omega pro 15,omega pro 18,kilomax 15,kilomax 18,magnum lf 15,magnum lf 18,magnum hp 15,magnum hp 18.

Celestion: Frontline 15,18

Mc Kenzie 500w rms 18 inch

Precision Devices 1840,184 18 inch

Electrovoice

RCF

P.Audio

Cerwin Vega

Bumper

ZEUZ

Selenium

JBL 2226,2262

Fane collossus xb 15,18

I think Precision Devices,RCF,JBL,Selenium,Fane,Electrovoice are better than Eminence,Celestion,Mc Kenzie,Bumper,Zeuz,Cerwin Vega

I'm looking for a bass driver able to produce and handle sub bass and mid bass.With 300w rms min, 15 inch or 18 inch.And a freq range of at least 35hz,better 20hz.And high sensitivity 100db 1w/1m and over.

Eminence Kappa pro 15 lf, looks pretty good,4.8mm x max,103 db at 1w/1m,600w rms [new version],80 0z magnet.
But the Eminence Kilomax pro 18 looks fantastic,12mm x max,99 db spl at 1w/1m,1250w rms new version,4 inch voice coil,109 oz magnet,die cast basket.

www.precision-devices.com www.eminence.com

To get deep bass, the enclosure is at least as important as the driver.

When I was building PA speakers I always came back to Electrovoice or RCF woofers. Becker were cheap and good sounding, too. I don't know anything about the newer models of these brands except they are all worse than the older out-of-production ones.

Older RCF 15" drivers could be used for midrange, too - wouldn't have expected this.

Look at El-Pipe-O. When you need real deep bass at decent levels things get big and expensive.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Exactly how big an enclosure can you tolerate?

Can you give us a volume that you cannot go over? If you are going to use this for DJ work, how big a cabinet can you transport to your jobs?

A cyber-friend runs a DJ business in Cork, Ireland. He has several people working for him. He gives them 3 cubic ft vented PA cabinets with Eminence Kappa 15s in them. Says that he finds that to be the best combo. The 3 dB down point is around 58 Hz.

He finds that 3 cu ft seems to be the most conventient size for the hatchback type cars which most of his DJ's drive.

Now if you have bigger transportation, that would change things.

I notice that there are a lot of 3 cu ft, (80 liter) cabs out there for PA work, and most of them have F3 's 60 Hz or higher. Peaveys especially seem to have high F3's-too high for the cab size, I would say.

Anyway, I just want to point out that for DJ work, an F3 of 60 Hz or so seem to be satisfactory.

Hoffmans Iron Law is at work here...

High-efficiency deep bass and small enclosures don't mix. :)

Of the choices you listed the 2226 JBL is probably best since it has a low Fs and decent Xmax, but I think a better choice for getting to 35Hz and below would be either using a big horn (probably the LAB project) or a hi-fi driver.

The short Xmax of the pro drivers keeps them from being able to produce a lot of clean low bass. Some hi-fi drivers have longer linear excursions (the Adire Tumult, for example, has 34mm each way). However, they sacrifice efficiency in order to work down to 20Hz in home subwoofer sized boxes. Adire's Maelstrom has higher efficiency and 13mm Xmax, but costs a lot and needs a really big box to get to 25Hz and below. There is just no way around a huge box size when trying to get low bass and high efficiency at the same time.

To decide on the best option, it would help to know the largest tolerable enclosure size, as well as a low frequency limit and SPL you're trying to achieve. With the stated goal of 35Hz F3 and 100db efficiency, the LAB horn (maybe multiples thereof) will probably be the best bet. Some compromises will be necessary to get a smaller enclosure.

I don't disagree with most of what has been said here but on the speakers Electro-Voice rules. No contest. The top of the line ones that is. They also make some cheaper ones that are not so great. They are not the only good speakers but they are the best except for use as guitar speakers. Not just the best sounding but also the most rugged. Also it is absolutely true that large cabinets make a huge difference for deep bottom end. You can get or make cabinets that are larger then they appear by the folded method but if space is no problem just make them deep. The best low end enclosures I ever used had a 21 inch speaker inside and were only about 2 and 1/2 feet tall but were about 6 feet deep. It took a major power amp to push each one. Pain in the butt to move around but you could feel the sound in your chest.

For sub bass AND mid bass you might want to look at double chamber reflex cabinets.

Last edited:
Deep & Small ?

The combination of deep bass, small footprint (for portable for P.A. work), and high sensitivity (100 dB SPL @ 1W & 1M) are not attainable. Depending on venue size two or more large format, long-throw drivers will be needed to get the required volume displacement [VD]. To drive them you will need a beefy dedicated power amplifier as well. If you want it clean as well, servo control is required. For small club venues, I use two Velodyne HGS-18s to deliver ‘boom-less’ room shaking bass on techno and rap tracks. Each unit weighs about 100 lbs., so they are relatively easy to transport. If you want to build your own rig, have a look at Ascend Acoustics.
D12 SE Direct Servo Subwoofer
Regards,
WHG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.