Which midrange used in Sonus Faber

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rinx said:
Good morning from Estonia!
Yess, I agree, if I do not put any effort to get good results, I wount get. I still try to handle with SW, I already build Eric W. jig also for that. Its my first project , maybe thats why I have there so many questions and have'nt done whole process trought.
So far I am using excel based soft. for enclosure and got same measurement as one really "old" audiophile from this forum, so this should be accurate enough. Its my first win:)

IF you are looking for free software and have Excel, then Jeff Bagby's passive XO designer is great.

http://audio.claub.net/software/jbagby.html

Regards,

Dennis

Regarding the Etons
Which midrange would be better from 1.8-2Khz to 200Hz?:
eton 7-360, (old yellow kevlar) eton 7-380, eton 7-372, eton 7-375,5-880

Some say that the old yellow ones are legendary and better than the current models in retrieving details from the recording.
How is it possible for 7-372 to have a lower Mms than the 7-360, that is used as a midrange in most cases.
Details must be very good but midbass body/attack/punch must be first class. I am quite satisfied with the detail levels and liveness of 7-380 although it sounds a little bit screechy in some records near the crossover (2.2Khz). Is the newer etons any better and in what characteristics?
Maybe till the 200Hz there is no need for punch from a 7" woofer??
Is it fault of my Scanspeak Revelator 10" 8861T00 that midbass sounds gutless and discontinued? The sound is flat measured +-3db in that region. Can I blame it or is it the different signature between the eton and SS that makes me feel midbass has a hole in that region? Something is missing from male vocals, and some acoustic bass sounds like prrr and not as usual.

The other woofers that i will be using in the new speaker (I am not the designer of the speaker) is the Eton 12-680 and the Accuton C23, in the crossover places that i reffered to above.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any opinions:D

Michael,

I am curious about your finding of the SS8861T00. Do you have a proper XO to cross it? If so, it may well be the XO playing the trick.

I mounted my SS8861T00 in a box. Before I designed the XO for it, I ran it full range.

Its mid bass sound fine to me.

You can give it a try.

Regards,
Bill

ok I will check the SS performance in the midbass alone.
But what about the eton midranges? People mostly from Europe have experienced their performance rather than from US.. may the moderators cut the thread regarding the eton midranges in a new thread? Since now it seems that many people can't see the discussion

One of the first american companies that included Eton drivers in one of its designs for the first time is Silverline Audio in La Folia MkII (the second most expensive- Grandeur mkII being the first):

http://www.silverlineaudio.com/images/topics/lafoliaii.jpg

I think as time passes even more american companies will choose the Eton drivers in their designs like Silverline did. Let's don't forget that Silverline has only used Focal,Vifa,Scan-Speak and Dynaudio so far. In this last design it used all Eton drivers and accuton C23 for the highs..:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.