Which high-xo tweeter to use with a Jordan JX92S?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys thanks for the help,

I got 2 subs each having 2 12" woofers but their locations 2 are behind a sofa, 1 is in a corner and 1 as a plant stand means that they will not really be able to work as a stereo pair (for imaging) purposes. The subs when made will be using Audio Concpets drivers.

In fact i fear the subs might not be able to keep up with the alacrity of the Jordans and hence might have to relegate them to really only performing bass reinforcement.

The satallites will have to be wall hung in boxes of about 8-10 liters and I have been considering fullrange and 2 way solutions. The Jordan is the most expensive of the solutions I have considered (FR125, Fostex 108 Sigma, and the traditional ScanSpeak, Focal and Seas 4-5" midwoofers).

I started out considering a larger 2 way for the front like the fostex FF85K with a Seas or Vifa woofer or a Jordan JX125/53 solution (mated to 108 Sigmas or JX92 for the rear) but the space I have does not allow for larger front channels. Larger front channels would have meant using a simple 6db crossover in the lower midrange / upper mid region where the distance between the 2 drivers would be less than the wavelength of the crossover frequency.

So in short I'd like to cross over the Jordans as low as possible. I would hope for 80Hz but would be satisfied with 100Hz.

Depending on baffle size and shape, you may or may not need BSC compensation. Initial indication would be male and low female vocals. If they start sounding a bit lean, then a BSC for the Jordans will be necessary. In case you do use BSC. Try cheap inductors until you get the tone balance right, then swap them with foil inductors, and the stage depth will come out.

Crossing about 100 to 80 Hz sounds like a good start. Since the Subs won't be located with the mains, the simplest would be with no high pass with the Jordans, but just change the low pass of the subs.

Did you know that Jordan also has some subs too. I think they have some info at their site.

Looks like 15 liters tuned to 45 Hz goes flat to 60Hz at least.

7.2 liters sealed looks around -3dB at 80Hz.

10 liters vented tuned to 50 Hz looks flat to 70Hz, -3dB around 55 Hz.

A lot of options, looks like. I'd probably try the sealed alignment to control excursion below Fs.

soongsc said:
Depending on baffle size and shape, you may or may not need BSC compensation....Crossing about 100 to 80 Hz sounds like a good start. Since the Subs won't be located with the mains, the simplest would be with no high pass with the Jordans, but just change the low pass of the subs...Did you know that Jordan also has some subs too....

The baffle will be about 1" wider than the JX92 themselves. I am planning to make the box in 4 parts.

part 1 will be a U shaped tube made of 8 mm anodised aluminum lined with strips of 1.5mm lead and covered with damping material.

part 2. will be a 6mm thick stainless steel baffle with chamfered sides and parts 3 and 4 wil be stanless steel top and bottom.

I have not decided about how i am going to brace the cabinet yet.

I thought the Jordan 125 adn 150 drivers have been discontinued.

Dumbass said:
....7.2 liters sealed looks around -3dB at 80Hz.......A lot of options, looks like. I'd probably try the sealed alignment to control excursion below Fs.

This looks nice. the smaller the box the better the WAF. the box I end up with will have to mate with a plasma TV so can be about 30" tall but will have to as narrow (6.5-7") and shallow (5-5.5") as possible. The cross section would be too smalll for a ML-TL. :-(

navin said:

The baffle will be about 1" wider than the JX92 themselves. I am planning to make the box in 4 parts.

You'll probably see a peak in FR centered a little below 2K with this kind of baffle due to the diffraction induced signals.

navin said:

part 1 will be a U shaped tube made of 8 mm anodised aluminum lined with strips of 1.5mm lead and covered with damping material.

part 2. will be a 6mm thick stainless steel baffle with chamfered sides and parts 3 and 4 wil be stanless steel top and bottom.

This is an interesting design, haven't heard of anyone that's done it yet. Chamfered sides would be for cosmetics?

navin said:

I thought the Jordan 125 adn 150 drivers have been discontinued.

I recall the sub is made by MJ acoustics to Jordan specs.

navin said:

This looks nice. the smaller the box the better the WAF. the box I end up with will have to mate with a plasma TV so can be about 30" tall but will have to as narrow (6.5-7") and shallow (5-5.5") as possible. The cross section would be too smalll for a ML-TL. :-(

Best to visit the site and look at compensation for these different enclosures. Toe in of the mains probably would be best, but probably not for the surrounds depending on where they're located.

soongsc said:

You'll probably see a peak in FR centered a little below 2K with this kind of baffle due to the diffraction induced signals.

This is an interesting design, haven't heard of anyone that's done it yet. Chamfered sides would be for cosmetics?

I recall the sub is made by MJ acoustics to Jordan specs.

Best to visit the site and look at compensation for these different enclosures. Toe in of the mains probably would be best, but probably not for the surrounds depending on where they're located.

how would one control that 2k peak? any ideas?

chamfered sides would be to reduce edge difraction though the chamfer would only be 6mm or so. i wonder if that would be enough but it would be nicer than a sharp edge.

Oh the MJ woofer. sorry i misunderstood.

i hope to get all drivers to fire off axis at the main listening area.

Which FR plot are you referring to concerning the 2K Hz peak?

About the edge diffaction I wonder if something like the attached cross section would work. On side would blend with the TV (assuming it's very close or right beside it), the other side could be round which takes care of the edge baffle while keeping still a quite slim format.

Attachments

• jx92 toe-in.jpg
    jx92 toe-in.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 150
soongsc said:
Which FR plot are you referring to concerning the 2K Hz peak?

About the edge diffaction I wonder if something like the attached cross section would work. On side would blend with the TV (assuming it's very close or right beside it), the other side could be round which takes care of the edge baffle while keeping still a quite slim format.

you said i would see a peak a bit below 2k.....

that is a nice idea. very close to my concept. unfortunately i am no good at CAD.

navin said:

you said i would see a peak a bit below 2k.....

that is a nice idea. very close to my concept. unfortunately i am no good at CAD.

That was the edge diffraction that would cause this, if the corners are rounded with larger radius, then that would be reduced. Maybe I should have called it notches before and after in stead of a peak. Something sort of similar like this thread, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=759078#post759078

I though everyone would have signed up for the Alibre give away.

It was a 3D CAD program. They were giving licenses away if you signed up before anouncement, but its over now. Quite convenient. I think you can still get a demo copy with a little less features. These 3D CAD programs are quite easy to learn these days, it's like growing you material and cutting the parts you don't want out.

Here's to digging up a dead horse...

I have a pair of JX92's that I was planning on running full-range but my other speakers midranges just died which means I now have a pair of tweeters that just might work with the JX92's. The dead speakers are the original, and very good Infinity Modulus (1990) which means I have two perfectly functioning EMIT-K tweeters. Does anybody have any experience with these that could say if I should consider them? They aren't very efficient so they might be a good match.

Thanks,
Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.