Which format to rip cds?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lossless compression is superior to all lossy schemes when it comes to sound quality. Further, all lossless formats produce identical output by definition. Any differences come down to player/OS issues. AAC is a good system, but it is lossy. You can't reproduce a bit-perfect copy of the original CD with it, as is the case with any lossy system. Also, encoding CDs at 48khz is not useful; Red Book is 16bit/44.1khz so encoding at any sample size or rate than that requires padding or modification of the source data.

I rip everything FLAC, then downconvert to mp3 as needed (not often since the Squeezebox supports FLAC).

I did my Homework ,it said that I should take beginners Mode and that`s what I did.It didn`t say somewhere You need about 1min or 30min! Now I´m trying to find out what`s best and that`s sometimes easyier with a little help from someone who already knows the Programm .
Regards DT

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Have you been able to resolve your problem so far? You might want to google for issues with your specific drive and EAC if it is not specifically mentioned on the EAC homepage. There are a very few drives that perform quite poorly with EAC, but they are mostly ancient drives that few people currently use.

There are some settings in the extraction dialog box that can cause problems - best to look at the EAC help pages for information on those. Did you run the drive detection routines on this drive?

How fast is your pc? Perhaps ripping and converting should be done separately - I had an older machine where this feature did not work too well and I got better overall performance doing the rip and then converting.

As a point of reference ripping and converting an entire CD to flac takes an average of under 10 minutes on any of my machines. (Usually about 7 minutes)

Attachments

• eac.jpg
    eac.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 196
The obvious

I have been using iTunes (ALAC) since it's inception in 2004 to produce Apple Lossles files. For me the quality is indistinguishable from the original. I do though, realise that the quality of the ripper (the DVD in the computer) is probably the weakest link.
Although it's a proprietry format, it is at least available for from Apple for 2 platforms.
It has also been reverse engineered by David Hammerton for wider use: ALAC

Hi, I never had paranoid Mode on!In the beginning it started with 45min.for one Track after changing some settings I got it down to 30min.Last night I realized that it shows a Sync Problem always,after looking in one Forum I found someone who says to press F4 when putting CD in . that way it doesn`t show a Sync Problem any more and Time went down to 15min. So that was still too long, than I changed from DVD Rom to DVD RW for reading it out and I couldn`t believe how much faster that was.I wonder if it depends on the Drive or some setting in the Computer.The Drives are both Pioneer.
Regards DT

taccodude said:
Hi, I never had paranoid Mode on!In the beginning it started with 45min.for one Track after changing some settings I got it down to 30min.Last night I realized that it shows a Sync Problem always,after looking in one Forum I found someone who says to press F4 when putting CD in . that way it doesn`t show a Sync Problem any more and Time went down to 15min. So that was still too long, than I changed from DVD Rom to DVD RW for reading it out and I couldn`t believe how much faster that was.I wonder if it depends on the Drive or some setting in the Computer.The Drives are both Pioneer.
Regards DT

I would say the "problem" is related to the type of the disk you had in the Rom drive while EAC was evaluating Rom drive performance. Try to do EAC drive evaluation with low reflectivity disk (CD R , or CD RW) and repeat the same with the audio CD you got from the music store. - which could have double the reflectivity of CD RW's.

The laser “read-out” power will switch accordingly once the Rom drive's detected the disk reflectivity. The question is: Can the EAC accommodate for various reflectivity, and adjust it's expectations accordingly? Or it will go obsessive trying to read low reflectivity disk with laser setting at "good reflectivity - standard disk" type.

I hope I made myself clear above.... hmmmm

Good luck,
Boky

Edit: Pls send your finding to EAC creator's to help them improve their product!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
taccodude said:
Update, for a 1Hour CD with 10 Tracks I need about 1Hour for test , copy and convert to flac. In save Mode.Is that still too long?
Regards DT

Yes, this is way too long. On both of my machines it typically takes less than 10 minutes (7 minutes is about average) to rip and convert an hour long CD. Rips typically occur at 12X - 18X depending on the specific drive in use, and conversion to flac typically takes < 45 seconds per file with the settings I use in flac. Set flac for moderate compression as the more aggressive settings do not save much more space and take way longer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.