Which enclosure for Altec 409-8B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
edlye said:

Hi GM, I'm a bit confused here, does that mean the enclosure will look like a 3-sided u-shaped 'trough' standing on the long end? Thanks.

Greets!

Not any more confused than I am at how you arrived at a three sided 'U' shaped trough from my description of a six sided closed pipe with a driver at one end and a large cutout (vent) at the rear of the other end. I mean a 'U' shape would make it a dipole, not a TL.

GM

GM said:

Greets!

Not any more confused than I am at how you arrived at a three sided 'U' shaped trough from my description of a six sided closed pipe with a driver at one end and a large cutout (vent) at the rear of the other end. I mean a 'U' shape would make it a dipole, not a TL.

GM

Ha ha, told you I'm new to all this hence the confusion. I'd rather ask and look silly than build wrongly. :D

Ok, it is a 'normal' boxed enclosure with a rear vent at the bottom with the internal dimensions of 135cm x 29.1cm x 29.1cm. How big should the vent be, is it 29.1com x 29.1cm? Are there any internal folds within the enclosure? Thanks.

If it were me and I had another pair I would really like to hear them OB with a helper woofer. Back when I had those, OB didn't make sense, plate amps weren't yet invented and I no-could afford extra woofer anyway, so I just stuck them in a box. Never did like them.

If you plan on a box, GM's your man to get the best from them.

EDIT: They were my first pieces of Altec. Didn't know what all the fuss was about back then. :)

Cal Weldon said:

It's my bedroom. :)

OK, I just don't equate 'bedroom' with such a complex, wide BW system since I only do two things there and listening to music isn't one of them ;), but whatever 'floats yer boat'. :) Not knocking it, just surprised. I guess if I'd had bigger bedrooms over the years I might have put bigger ones in though. I did have A7s wedged in mine the last summer I lived at home, but that was a parental mandate.

Greets!

No, as I originally stated, I recommended it be on the rear for WAF reasons. I mean a big opening stuffed with insulation wouldn't be acceptable looking to most folks, though of course you could cover it with grill cloth.

No, a MLTL would have a smaller vent to mass load the pipe (TL) to a lower Fp (tuning). With such a high Qts though, this isn't considered the way to best pipe performance, but if you want to experiment with a smaller vent opening you can to see if it sounds subjectively better, though I wouldn't make it < ~52 cm^2.

GM

GM said:
You're welcome!

Without specs, don't have a clue........

I just found a spec sheet, but it is in German: http://www.rahaso.de/foren/msg.php?f=audiotreff_fullrange&idx=18657&

Here's a translation with the help of babel fish:

nominal impedance 8ohms
d.c. resistance of the moving coil 6.6ohms
load rating 100W
max load 150W
output 0.5W
resonant frequency 45Hz
through howling tension (lost in translation?) 9V
transmission range 50Hz - 19kHz
magnet material FXD
magnet diameter 124.6mm
magnet mass 990g
energy in the air gap 498mWs
magn. flow density 1110mT
air gap height 8mm
height of the moving coil 9.7mm
minor diameter 35mm
basket diameter 313.3mm
sound opening/free space 278/5mm
depth 135mm
mass of the loudspeaker 1650g

I've also started a new thread for the AD12202 here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104815

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.