Which design for CHP-70.1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi There,
This is my first post and first build... so hello! I've just ordered a pair of Mark Audio CHP-70.1 speakers with an eye to building a pair of FH 3's. Then I saw a thread on here about maybe building them into a woden design Coniston.
My question is what are the different sound characteristics of the BVR vs the FH 3? Also can the BVR be used in a room about 12'x14'? I actually prefer the look of the taller Coniston, but will it work and sound ok?
Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

Coniston is really for the EL70, don't know how well CHP would do, but given Coniston works qith 1 or 2 EL70, i'd guess your chances are good. You also need to be able to get out at least 3m for the speaker to integrate.

dave

Thanks Dave for the reply. It looks as if I'd be better to stick with the Frugal Horns then. The others were a risk with the wife I suppose. The real problem for me is to get a good 3m away. I'd nearly be through the door and in the kitchen at that rate :D
Before I start to build the FH 3's does anyone have any tips with regards to how to go about the build, what to do/what not to do etc.?
Cheers

Thanks Dave for the reply. It looks as if I'd be better to stick with the Frugal Horns then. The others were a risk with the wife I suppose. The real problem for me is to get a good 3m away. I'd nearly be through the door and in the kitchen at that rate :D
Before I start to build the FH 3's does anyone have any tips with regards to how to go about the build, what to do/what not to do etc.?
Cheers

I've built a couple pairs of these - PM me if you like

Small digression :) Bought a pair of CHP70 Mark 2's.. they proved erm.. disapointing. No Biggie as what can one honestly expect from a $40 driver.
Now broken in 125 ~ hours logged. Tried them again today. Initially sounded fine. Then noticed their Ssssiblance on Every high note.
It'ssss sssseriously annoying, rendering them usssssless for listening purposssssesss. Remembering that these are claimed as rolled off in the higher freqs .
My A**!
These are Chinee Crap speakers... period.
Gee who woulda thought Plastic chassis speakers wouldn't be outstanding.
Maybe I should Slather them in Ductseal and Fingernail paint Patterns on them??? Perhaps using Mr Floaty as a crayon.
IF you think these are 'good' then I can Only assume that the reviewers' reference points are completely inadequate.
Hey! some are convinced MacDonalds makes Good burgers too :rolleyes:
Clearly there's No underestimating North American tastes..something Long Proven and the historical basis for some serious Profiting.
I can accept that these Lillipution widgets are Not going to have impressive dynamics.. Dohh!
But It would be nice IF they could do a passable job on basic frequencies.
Note that this was tried on a long standing tube /ss amp setup which has NO sibilance whatsover.
Disbelieving, I retested using 2 separate speaker systems and then triple checked with 2 Headphones.
ONLY the Mark Audio crap things had Sssss's.
A Mark Audio issue NOT the system
Impressive product indeed !! Remind me to buy More :)
MY Current opinion is that these cheapish ~$40 drivers have an effective value of 25 Cents...Maybe.
Yeah I'm a little pissed, Mostly at myself, for believing the internet Drivel in the first place.
Mine are going into the trash bin.
Caveat Emptor applies Kiddies :D.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Remembering that these are claimed as rolled off in the higher freqs .
My A**!

Mr Bare is talking about his sole FR experience, the CHP-70.2, a quite different driver from the CHP-70 (original) under discussion here. And his mounted in a marginal box.

Still his comments about the top are pretty much mirrored in the factory FR data... a 5 dB rise to 6 kHz,then a rapid plunge 10 dB where is shelves.

Not Mark's best effort. And his best are very good.

dave

Attachments

• CHP-70-fr-0_15_30-datsml.gif
    CHP-70-fr-0_15_30-datsml.gif
    69.1 KB · Views: 241
Small digression :) Bought a pair of CHP70 Mark 2's.. they proved erm.. disapointing. No Biggie as what can one honestly expect from a $40 driver.
Now broken in 125 ~ hours logged. Tried them again today. Initially sounded fine. Then noticed their Ssssiblance on Every high note.
It'ssss sssseriously annoying, rendering them usssssless for listening purposssssesss. Remembering that these are claimed as rolled off in the higher freqs .
My A**!
Maybe I should Slather them in Ductseal and Fingernail paint Patterns on them??? Perhaps using Mr Floaty as a crayon.
IF you think these are 'good' then I can Only assume that the reviewers' reference points are completely inadequate.
Clearly there's No underestimating North American tastes..something Long Proven and the historical basis for some serious Profiting.
I can accept that these Lillipution widgets are Not going to have impressive dynamics.. Dohh!
Note that this was tried on a long standing tube /ss amp setup which has NO sibilance whatsover.
Disbelieving, I retested using 2 separate speaker systems and then triple checked with 2 Headphones.
MY Current opinion is that these cheapish ~$40 drivers have an effective value of 25 Cents...Maybe.
Yeah I'm a little pissed, Mostly at myself, for believing the internet Drivel in the first place.

Thanks for the helpful post...

My A**!
Whatever else you might think, and I havn't heard them yet this is an amusing piece of writing, made me laugh first thing in the morning.

Just as an update. Me and a friend built these in a week in November. I still have to finish the cabinets, although my wife does like the look of the naked mdf and the chp-70 drive unit... Go figure!
Anyway, all I can say is what a revelation! I have owned many commercial speakers over the years some of them costing many thousands of pounds. I'm not saying these are loads better, but I'm certainly not missing them, and that is the biggest compliment I can pay them. They are wonderfully clear and transparent. They image beautifully, and the bass is quite excellent. Detail is phenomenal too, I'm hearing things in some tracks that honestly I've never heard before.
Compared to my £15,000 previous system, I now have a very modest one. Squeezebox Touch, Bereseford Bushmaster DAC, pioneer A-300R. I am blown away every time I listen.
Also there is the satisfaction of having built them myself, I'm hooked!
For any naysayers out there, you owe it to yourself to have a go, they are truly wonderful and many thanks to the guys who put so much time in to designing and offering the plans for nowt... A truly genuine thank you.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just as an update. Me and a friend built these in a week in November. I still have to finish the cabinets, although my wife does like the look of the naked mdf and the chp-70 drive unit... Go figure!
Anyway, all I can say is what a revelation! I have owned many commercial speakers over the years some of them costing many thousands of pounds. I'm not saying these are loads better, but I'm certainly not missing them, and that is the biggest compliment I can pay them. They are wonderfully clear and transparent. They image beautifully, and the bass is quite excellent. Detail is phenomenal too, I'm hearing things in some tracks that honestly I've never heard before.
Compared to my £15,000 previous system, I now have a very modest one. Squeezebox Touch, Bereseford Bushmaster DAC, pioneer A-300R. I am blown away every time I listen.
Also there is the satisfaction of having built them myself, I'm hooked!
For any naysayers out there, you owe it to yourself to have a go, they are truly wonderful and many thanks to the guys who put so much time in to designing and offering the plans for nowt... A truly genuine thank you.

Which cabinet did you eventually build? FHMk3? Photos please....
Congratulations and welcome to the 'hooked on diy' club!:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.