• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which connector for PSU/chassis B+ supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Using Amphenol connectors military serie... PT 06 Serie: MIL-C-26482
14/12 for 12 contacts 8 #20 and 4 #16 {Digikey}
1000 Volts AC
Socket: 15 cad$ pc
Plug: 30 cad$ pc

For my SE 6C33C-B separated power supply's
Driver PS is 420V DC and B+ 250V {Stacked so 670Volts needed}

Very good quality, 4 wires up to #16 and 8 wires up to #20

Alain.

Attachments

• conx1.jpg
    conx1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 289
Yeah - I have to say that Amphenol is nice. I'm slowly coming round to the idea. Just about perfect for me is this one:

C16-3

14P+E cable plug,4way(18A)+11(8A) C01610I0140021
14P+E chassis plug,4way(18A)+11(8A) C01610C0140001
14P+E chassis socket,4way(18A)+11(8A) C01610G0140001
14P+E cable socket,(18A)+11(8A) C01610E0140021

Cost in the UK is £23 or $43 per lead (4 connectors)

It's more expensive than others, but not ridiculous for a precision product and all the connections I need are in one connector.

second opinion?

Hope I'ts not too rude to bring this thread back from the dead but its exactly the question I've got...

I'd like a second opinion. Ive managed to get some Cannon-6 connectors (part number MS3106E16S-1P and associated socket)

looking on the Cannon site yields:

Contact Rating at +20 °C (68 °F) - 22 A
Contact Resistance - 6 Mohm
Operating Voltage - In case of voltages greater than 50V the connector must be used in accordance with DIN VDE part 410, IEC 60364-4-41
Insulator Resistance - Acc. To VG95319, part 2, test no. 5.12
and VG95210, part 32, test conditions B,
standard insulator material > 1000 MÙ
Test Voltage - 1600 Vrms

These *look* like they are suitable to having read the earlier posts but I dont fully understand the notes on operating voltage... :whazzat:

I want to shift the 300Vac from PSU box to amp I'll rectify etc. inside the amp itself

Can anyone help me out here? perhaps I'm overworried but I'd much prefer a non-crispy death.

Thanks

Andy

I use one of those big metal Amphenol 10 pin connectors on my 845 amp with a B+ of 850vdc and its been fine for years now. As long as the connector shells are grounded I'm not worried. Once things get into the kilovolt range then I'll worry :) Have you looked into anything by Jaeger?

Its probably pretty self evident if you know what youre doing but my problem was that I don't get the quote, "...must be used in accordance with DIN VDE part 410, IEC 60364-4-41",

I was looking for an explicit "use upto X volts" maybe thats in the spec and I can't see it?

The connectors I have very similar to the Amphenol ones I think?

Anyway a picture says a 100 words so...

Andy

Attachments

• ms3106e16s-1p.jpg
    ms3106e16s-1p.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 179
The problem is that EU regs are moving the goal posts regarding voltage. I've had a number of quite contradictory quotes from Neutrik about their XLR series. for some reason they've adjusted the safe voltage down - seems totally beurocratic to me, but there we are. And the Neutrik speakons are surely capable of much higher voltages than quoted. The people who lose out on all these regs is us tube users - it's annoying not to know what actually is the safe voltage, not just some rounded off figure that satisfies a bean counter in Bruxelles.

Personally I've been collecting the odd numbered XLR series - 4,5,6 pole, plus in all these cases you can add another connector since earth can be carried in the body of the plug. Unified housing so it's easy to make a few holes for them and then select what's necessary, blanking off the unused holes. I reckon these are OK for 300v - particularly the 4 pin ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.