Which CD-rom controller kit to buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently bought the CD ROM controller kit from Along, as suggested by ARTISAND in post 13 of this thread. After building the kit, and checking it again and again, I have a problem.

After initial startup and inserting a CD, the display shows the total number of tacks and the total time. However, it will not respond to the play button on botj the pcb and the remote. The only commands it will follow are stop / open /close.

I have checked and rechecked the components, soldering, wires, IDE connector, checked and resoldered each joint. To their credit, Along also sent me a new microcontroller but that made no difference. Yes, the drive is et to "master" and supply voltages are correct.

I have tried Asus, Lite-on, Ikus and Sony CD-ROMs. I am especially interested in using the Asus CD S520drive because of it's quiet mechanism.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or is likely that I have coincidentally tried all the CD-ROMs that this controller will not operate with.

Is there a CD-ROM drive that this controller is certain to work with?

Joe

Do you have any CDRW, or DVD drives? I assume those would support the same basic audio commands. Try visiting a computer recycler or Freegeek store, and bring along the controller and power supply: I'm sure they'd let you try a mound of CDROMs to see if any work.

That's all I can suggest. I've been meaning to build that controller that uses an Atmel AVR since I happen to have some of those (and they're dead easy to program: parallel port and a few resistors).

[edit] I just noticed the posts about Plextor SCSI drives. I happen to still have a few of those. I'll have a look on eBay for a controller. Considering I originally paid something like $400 for the writer, I'd like to get more use out of it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.