Which budget USB DAC under 200USD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have received my DAC. I am going to create another thread soon to start my DAC mod journey.

Excellent news, will look out for that thread. Mine is still in pieces until I get some inspiration for how to handle the apparent mis-match between the CS8416 output format and the TDA1543A input format. Incidentally did you get the 'A' version in yours?

What's wrong with the SQ straight out of the box? I can't recall if I even listened to mine before diving into the mods....:eek:

Now a days too many Chinese DAC's under budget 150$
1.Ak4495
2.es9018k2m
3.es9028q2m
4.AK4490
Can any one tell me which DAC chip is good.

In the case of 9028 its more a question of the output stage I reckon. DACs getting good subjective results tend to use discrete output stages rather than opamps. I have a 9018k2m in my phone and the HF is ragged to say the least - this could be the chip or it could be the output stage (opamp I'm fairly sure).
AK4490 I have played with recently - don't use the stock component values in the DS for the output filter as it loads the chip too heavily (in order to get great noise numbers). Rather scale the impedances up - I tweaked mine by a factor of 20 or 30 higher. Then it sounds pretty decent with nice clean power supplies - subjectively beats other opamp output DACs I've listened to (thinking particularly of WM874x).

In the case of 9028 its more a question of the output stage I reckon. DACs getting good subjective results tend to use discrete output stages rather than opamps. I have a 9018k2m in my phone and the HF is ragged to say the least - this could be the chip or it could be the output stage (opamp I'm fairly sure).
AK4490 I have played with recently - don't use the stock component values in the DS for the output filter as it loads the chip too heavily (in order to get great noise numbers). Rather scale the impedances up - I tweaked mine by a factor of 20 or 30 higher. Then it sounds pretty decent with nice clean power supplies - subjectively beats other opamp output DACs I've listened to (thinking particularly of WM874x).

Any useful links to design discrete output stage ?
Thanks.

Excellent news, will look out for that thread. Mine is still in pieces until I get some inspiration for how to handle the apparent mis-match between the CS8416 output format and the TDA1543A input format. Incidentally did you get the 'A' version in yours?

What's wrong with the SQ straight out of the box? I can't recall if I even listened to mine before diving into the mods....:eek:

With Win7 notebook it is very noisy on one channel and highs are very harsh. Hissing noise disappears when I hold my hand around notebook but harshness remains. Another channel is OK.

With 2014 Macbook could not get it work properly. Plays only system sounds and does not wont to work with Audirvana.

I could not resist and took it apart after listening a few minutes. But I was quite tired and lazy to document it.

Sound was like it has high pass filter on the output. Tried to remove output caps, as my Class-D amp already have them :rolleyes:, it become deeper.

I didn't notice if it has the "A" letter. Today I will start my thread I share some photos of it.

Last edited:
Hi!

I need your advice choosing a budget USB DAC. Please help!

Here are some initial selections:
1. Fostex HP-A3
2. DacMagic 100
3. Shiiit Modi 2 Uber
4. Audioengine D1
5. Dragonfly v1.5

P.S. I am going to use it with speakers, not headphones.

I would recommend this one from JDS Labs. Great product, great service, and well within your budget. A fine sounding no frills USB Dac.

JDS Labs - Standalone ODAC, Rev B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.