• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

which 300B project? help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mach_Y

The reason why I said not to substitute these components is because of their quality. The sound of this amp depends largely on the quality of these components. Chris who is the science curator at the randall museum is an aquantance of mine, he and John Atwood ran a frequency test on three output transformers, one is Electra-print, the other one was made by Trancendar and the other one was made by One Electron, in which John Atwood is the owner(he is the designer of One Electron Transformers). One Electron came out very flat, but it has a different primary impedance than the Electra-Print. Electra-Print is also very flat, but does not extend as high as One Electron, Trancendar was the worst, it has dips in its curves.

So again, not because a transformer(OPT or for Loading) has the same specs does not mean they will sound the same. They may look alike, or one may even look better than the other, but it is not a guarantee that they will sound good. The DRD amp were developed using Electra-Print transformers by the owner of Electra-Print, and therefore was liked upon by people who built it using these transformers. Using these transformers will guarantee that your amp will sound good, sure you can use other transfomers, but I can not guarantee that they will sound as good as the original design.

hi mach_y,

u right, this schematic was supply by alex in the web.
U know, not ,many people will had pre-amp. I must make sure the amp had enough sensitive, If the amp had enough sensitivity.
Although the other user use passive pre-amp our directly use CD volumn. The sound pressure will enough.
I test this machine was use ALPs step by step volumn to tst. It cost approx USD 10 this was the best volumn that I can use in my kit with acceptable price. This will much better than the USD 1 carbon film volumn. Right.
I compare with my another JE lab with top model Tamura F5002 amphorous output & choke. But acually the more detail is F5002 best but the mid freq density & the sound field This amp was more stable. I only change the 6C45/We437A cathode resister to 100ohm to change the current of 6c45 to balance the detail & reluxe sound.
Hope the diyer later will love it.
But the final kit I will all dale, IRC with carbon film in the cirrcuit.
I got the result better.
Now I am testing in the final stage of the kit for the cathode resisters. I found out the large watt cathode resister was wire wound & will lost many high air on the 300b/2a3/45 tube.
Now I am trying to parallel several at least 3 watt CGW or Dale Military resisters to relief the wire wound one. The first feedback is very good. The sound more detail with very good air ( hear the church song) can hear the air rich or not.
I will use all my effort to keep in good price. U know the several large watt military parallel price will much expensive than one large wire wound resisters.

thanks

thomas

Attachments

• new photo for web use 004.jpg
    new photo for web use 004.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,334
Hi mach_y,

Your schematic has the signal passing through a variable resistor (pot) and the transformer. Also, with the resistor / capicitor dropped down between the input tube and driver tube, you have lost the constant current source provided by the transformer alone between the two.

can U tell me which one, I can test immediately.

I can reported to u tomorrow the result.

P.S. I compare this amp with one of use JE lab circuit 300b amp.

thanks

Thomas

Attachments

• my we300b se amp.jpg
    my we300b se amp.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,338
thomas, look at your schematic in comparison to the one posted earlier by cdeveza. The schematic he posted shows the connection between the input and output tubes, as well as the connection between the output tranny and the B+ supply. You will notice yours and his are slightly different. Also, there is no resistor / capicator combo between the tubes to the voltage supply in parallel with the transformer as is in your circuit. I will be back on tonight... look forward to hearing from you on email in the time being. Good luck! :)

hi marc_y.

is u mean the C3-0.47uf.??

http://www.tubebuilder.com/images/schematics/singleended/we300b_se4.gif

sorry my english is not good, I am afraid will cause the misunderstanding.

I am in home. i can test immediately.

Pls told me which items after U check the circuit.

I am testing a interesting item now. the pass choke rectifier cap use 47uf X2 or use 100ufX2 & parallel one 0.1uf or 0.01uf cap will betterwhich cause to lower internal & the high freq resistance. I am testing to use MIT, Wima & solen or simens/ philips is much cheaper but good performance.

I am still testing the ripple & with the sound.
in above condition.

Diy's interest is use reasonable but NOT EXPENSIVE parts but can get good sound.

thanks

Thomas

Mach_Y,

The best way to get a good deal with EP is to call and talk to Jack Elliano himself, the owner and tell him bluntly if you can get a discount. He usually do give discount if you are going to buy most of the iron. As for the power supply, I recommend you to look somewhere else, Jack does not seems to like to make power transformer and thus charges a bit too much for it. I myself is looking for a good power transformer maker. Jack does make good power transformer but they are not as critical as the OPT and therefore can be sourced somewhere, you can asked him though. The one I built from the randall museum was made by Trancendar, they look good but they hum a bit too loud. Hammond on the other hand heats up a bit too much, EP's power transformer does not suffer from any of these, they heat up a bit, but not too much, but they are a bit pricey.

Alex Deveza

hi,

the most easy way to know that of the power transformer is ask the factory that the power transformer is design for how many hours use. The military grade is biggers but use higher Gauss silicon lamination. But unlucky many hifi power transformer use 6 hours design, so afther use several hours. the power trans will very hot, than the power supply internal resistance will increase more. when u touch the power trans, U will feel very hot.
In my opinion, perhaps 8 hour design is better.
Good size & stable. use several hours ,touch feel will warm, not too hot.

thanks

Thomas

Thomas,
Their website is www.handwoundtransformers.com I hear they make great products, but the wait time is anywhere from 1 to 6 months :( I am just curious as to what their prices would be.
The following transformers / chokes are needed:

2 x Power Transformers - Primary: 120VAC @ 60hz
Secondary 1: 1110VCT, 555-0-555 @ 200ma
Secondary 2: 7V @ 2A
Secondary 3: 6.3V @ 4A
Secondary 4: 6.3V @ 2A

2 x Output Transformers - Single Ended for 300B tube: 3.5Kohm, 20 watt, with a 20-48khz freq response; 4,8, and 16 ohm taps

2 x Driver Load Chokes - 65H @ 20mA

2 x Power Supply Chokes - 10H @ 200mA

2 x 300B Heater Filament Chokes - 30mH @ 2A

If you can supply any or all of these from your sources Thomas, please email me and let me know which ones and for what price. Thanks!!

Cdeveza:
Allied electronics doesn't list an ASC Oil 440VAC 40uf cap anymore.. there is a non AC one, but not AC. Nothing can be substituted here?

hi mach_y.

400~320~0~320~400V 250ma
0~4~5v 3A
5~3.15~0~3.15~5 3A
0~2.5~5V 3A
0~2.5~5V 3A.
this is the power trans I pre pare to Use.

I choose this power trans is the user can Use EL34, KT88, 2a3 6a3 & other tubes for the 320~0~320V.
Can U we310a to make the vintage we86 or 91 amp that this tube is 10V filament.

Circuit I test many day in horn & voice coil JE labs is good but the 6sn7 voltage is too high, only 6sn7gtb can work .work stable.
Use other normail 6sn7 or NOS VT231 will short the life.
So I prefer use 6C45, I test 6c45 was test we417a/5842 & 6DL4 in same time. But the controling power( swing ) for 2a3/300B in low effiency speaker this 6c45 is better.
I test two version as I told U. cap coupled & transformer coupled.
The cap coupled is only within 10 piece items/parts.

OPT I choose had 2.5K,3.5K & 5K 20watt hi-B coreis flexible.
U cannot change the secondary winding to change the sound quality.
I know that many brand name op transformer all good one. But I will choose mult-purpose for my further use & had space to improve or upgrade-------------------but less money.
why I less profit & use all famous products. I like their quality.
why U choose BENZ, NOKIA phone. I think one of the reason is the reliable.Right.
As I said, many brand name ot transformer all good one. But If they did not test the topest OPT to compare . I think they hadn't enough opinion to say which one is better. Me too. This is my opinion.

The diyer must choose the item that useful to them.
As choose the car.
Somebody like SUV , somebody like saloon., jeep or racing car too.
But I like SUV for its muli-purpose.

thnaks

Thomas

Hi,

If Use in the first stage not need to use 40uf. 4uf is OK. If the choke is better. use small cap can low the high freq.
pass the choke choose 47uf or 100uf.
why not try to test this method Ok or not. I test them in my lowther & la scala.
I test with lowther to hear the high freq lost.
small cap is better. oil cap with PCB is better than non-PCB.
Choose DCone, AC is the motor start cap, really not good.

thanks

Thomas :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

siu sin man tho said:
Hi,

If Use in the first stage not need to use 40uf. 4uf is OK. If the choke is better. use small cap can low the high freq.
pass the choke choose 47uf or 100uf.
why not try to test this method Ok or not. I test them in my lowther & la scala.
I test with lowther to hear the high freq lost.
small cap is better. oil cap with PCB is better than non-PCB.
Choose DCone, AC is the motor start cap, really not good.

thanks

Thomas :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Do you have a place to buy 40uf, 440V PCB oil caps? The ones at allied are non-pcb.

The schematic I am looking to build right now does not have a choke bypass cap.

The output transformers you have that are changeable sound like a good option. I might just go for those instead of the handwound. However, the power transformer you listed doesn't have nearly the voltage I am looking for. Any luck on the chokes?

hi mach_y,

As i said, I need high standard, & Craft!!!!!
Beautiful & reliable.
U know the military grade parts was very compatible & reliable. if u want your power trans. Ok. I can supply but need 2 weeks because the new wound power trans in this spec need to test with 24hours. your power trans is 550V~0~550V. it means I must test your spec in 2500~3000V 1min for the insulate effency.
I need time to test. So 2 weeks was needed. the price hope to be same. u can choose 2x115V or only 115V because your power trans is custom made.
the price of the power trans is 1W =0.3USD.( 0.3mm silicon lamination) if u choose 0.35 lamination will charge USD 0.23 for 1watt. Up to U.
The size I only can supply the power trans as my power trans size but different thickness.
Pls see the oil cap i choose.
I made thisa choose was NOS, OIl with PCB & size was fit to modify, circular size as elect-cap round size.
pls see the oil cao i use in the kit.

thanks

thomas

Attachments

• tango's 037.jpg
    tango's 037.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,109
Thomas:
I am not worried about time... I am in no rush :) What brand of power transformer would it be? Unless I am mistaken, 555V-0-555V = 1110V. 1110V x 0.250mA = 277.5W. 7V x 2A = 14W. 6.3V x 4A = 25.2W. 6.3V x 2A = 12.6W. Total = 329.3W. With 0.3mm silicon lamination (I assume this is better than 0.35?), it is 0.30USD per watt, so 329.3W x 0.30USD/W=98.79USD. At 100 dollars, I am very interested to know what brand this is :)

What brand and how much are the output transformers you mentioned before? Last, how much will it be for the same brand to make the following chokes:

2 x Driver Load Chokes - 65H @ 20mA

2 x Power Supply Chokes - 10H @ 200mA

2 x 300B Heater Filament Chokes - 30mH @ 2A

If I can, I would prefer to have all the chokes and transformers made by the same company. James maybe?

Thanks again.

Mark

hi marc_y,

about the price pls email to me. Ok. U will satify when U compare the items price that U can directly buy in USA.
I am prepare the menu. The power was I call a OLD radio parts technician to wound. This is prefect custom build one.
In my standard,
the power trans must fit this standard.
I hope U WILL UNDERSTAND.

hi marc_y,

about the price pls email to me. Ok. U will satify when U compare the items price that U can directly buy in USA.
I am prepare the menu now. U know I am not selling product to earn my life money. The time consume for prepare was longer a littlke time.
The power was I call a OLD radio parts technician to wound. This is prefect custom build one.

In my standard,
the power trans must fit this standard.
I hope U WILL UNDERSTAND.

P~S 3000V 1 min.( High Volt)
P~E 1500V 1 min
S1~E 3000V 1 min
S~E 500V 1 min
S1~S 3000V 1 min
S~S 500V 1 min.

for example the core lost for 300w power trans must lower within 4W.

Certainly, the choke & output will in same brand name. as the photo show.

this is the power trans standard.
If u choose Tango or james must cost USD 200 or more without postage. But the quality may or may be better than my custom build.
Mike, U know all the parts I choose was the very good quality one. All in quite high price.
I only use my private method to get them in lower price but they still not made from me. I can't to maintain all in low price as they private build.
If U not like transformer couple. the picture show minus two tango interstage is OK.

Any advise.

thanks

Thomas

Attachments

• new photo for web use 007.jpg
    new photo for web use 007.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,058
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.