Which 15"pro woofer? B&C or Faitalpro.....

Indeed!! I went with the faitalpro and the QSC waveguide with the Denovo360 compression driver. All I can say is WOW!

They have dynamics uncomparable with anything I have built before.

I am using the MOD86 from Tomcr at the moment and it is more than enough to make concert level sound in my livingroom.

The FaitalPRO woofers are simply great, the build quality for the price is fantastic and the performance is also great.

Also, highly reccomended!

Attachments

• IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 650
I am waiting until next spring to finish the enclosures, but i couldnt wait to hear what they sounded like so I went ahead and wired them up for the winter....

They are quite sensitive and I could see using them with a tubeamp as well...

Any progress on your end?

Cheers!

>>> Happily Divorced...

Me too!

But I got engaged and plan to move in with gf. Negotiating where the big speakers will go.

Your project looks great!

I have a new gf moving as well! She loves the speaker and said they HAVE to stay in the living room!

Its love!!!! ;)

I don't know what it is with this forum and I'm no Dr. Phil, but if your girlfriend/wife doesn't like your speakers and she knows this this your hard-core (life-long) hobby, maybe she should go :eek:

What a nonsense! If they deliver bass or not depends on the specific woofer, not on the manufacturer! That's like saying "there's a slow Mercedes, buy a BMW". :rolleyes:

I agree Mercedes is slow, buy a BMW :D

Sorry to have found this thread so late, but I'm planning a similar design around b&c15ndl88 and fatial hf146 on the 18-sound xt1464 horn, all components are brought, the difference is that I will be using them together with LF support from ~120Hz (ROAR15) but they should still manage decently on their own with a bit of eq in the bass region.

Mainly for home use, thinking sealed alignment with a QTC around 0,6 (~50dm3) for SQ reasons and the fact that I will have LF support if higher SPL is needed.

Any thoughts or comments on the choose of components and approach? (I'm asking since there seem to have been similar considerations taken in this thread).

Nice project !

My 2c....
Since you have the ROAR 15 to build up from, i think a 12" would make a better bridge to the xt1464/hf146.

I think you'll get better pattern matching between the horn and a 12" than with the 15", which might start to narrow too much...especially if you find you need to cross the CD closer to Faitals recommended 900Hz min xover freq.

And given the ROAR15, i figure the extra low end of a 15"mid is probably not needed.

I've been very happy with several different builds that have used the xt1464 and 12"s. All were designed to cross to sub at 100-120Hz, like yours.
Plus 12" cabinets match the XT1464 horn width nicely.

I gave the crossover point a bit of thought based on the choose of 15ndl88, and given the setting, mainly at home (think of this as a form of PA/hifi hybrid approach), meaning low power, I'm aiming to cross around or just below 1k, most 15" do fairly well up to this point, give or take, but I agree with you, this is one of those compromises I keep hearing about I guess :)

I do have a pair of beyma E120 (a.k.a. liberty 8), 12", that keeps glaring mournfully at me on the shelf, the reason I wanted to give 15" a chance here was for stand alone lf performance, and I really do not want things to become thin-ish below 200Hz, even when crossing over to the ROAR15's which then might be perceived as a gap, enhancing the sense of there being two very different beasts not really agreeing with each other.

I have toyed with the notion of making a decent looking and well functioning adapter plate so that I can at least try the beyma 12" out, albeit in a to large box, and then only to evaluate the difference to the 15" when it comes to how well they work with the 1 4", but we will see.

Thanks for your input, well received and food for thought.

Last edited:
My pleasure to try to help.

Yeah, I've debated the same decision you have many times, in choosing the mid driver size. And it generally came down to what do I have laying around, or can pirate from another box already built. Sounds like your in the same situation:)

Hey, since i know you are into "hi-fi PA" too, here's the most powerful mains setup I've ever made...and uses xt1464's and 12"s :D

Xover to subs is at 100-120Hz....I figure the mains stack needs the equivalent of at least 12 strong single 18"s to keep up.
Can I say L-L-L-LOUD !

3 stack R 500.jpg

Wow! I'd like to listen to Heilung on that setup :)

That's is a very nice top setup for a couple of hundred persons outdoors, it could potentially manage four figure crowds as well depending on venue type, what mids are those?

Cutting it down to one third would still constitute as self harm tendencies if used at performance level in a livingroom, I sure it sounds amazing at present levels though.

Thanks, this puts things into perspective, I will refer to this when people think I'm crazy with my home setup, haven't pushed the ROAR 15's (SW115 loaded) beyond a few hundred watts peak, it gets fairly unpleasant rather quickly, they hit ridiculously hard.

My standard cheeky answer is that true dynamic headroom capacity for 12 to 18dB crestfactor material does require a bit more then your average 6,5" hifi standmount can deliver decent levels :)