where to start to build an SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I appreciate the genuine concern of wakibaki regarding the emission of EMI/environmental pollution. Wakibaki is really a law abiding citizen of this world, who always think in bigger prospective and which is actually required for us all and specially for the leaders of his/every countries before indulging themselves in any harmful actions like involving in unjust war and engendering the environment by dropping million of Missiles/Bombs/Chemical agents on people/country, which is ultimately endanger our environment/ very existence. Sometimes they adopt measures like creating EMI for obstructing the radio signal/telecommunication, radar etc. which is more harmful than what jegandren is trying to do. I hope, wakibaki's concern will be heeded by all including his/our leaders.

However, jegandren, you please abide by the rules and regulations and continue your effort regarding smps, which is a just and noble effort.

Quote by S.G. Mahbub

"...................specially for the leaders of his/every countries before indulging themselves in any harmful actions like involving in unjust war and engendering the environment by dropping million of Missiles/Bombs/Chemical agents on people/country.........etc "

This is a DIY audio forum and I think we should restrict the discussion to matters relating to electronic/acoustic design.
I think this post is getting political and that has no place here.
You can try forums that cater to that trend of thought.

You have a right to vent your personal opinions on anything you want but with this kind of material it would be nice if you took it on to a forum that caters to such discussion.

Trust you are otherwise having a great time building and discussing audio matters with like minded members.
Cheers.

Hi jegandren, some of the posts above mention the importance of getting a prototype working & I agree.

Half of anything in engineering is actually trying to get it working, not just simulating it or putting it "on paper."

I built several SMPS units for a giant car chip amp amplifier I built (in photo). Also I modified the same design for my +260V tube preamp SMPS.

I can tell you that the only way I got real progress and discovered real-world problems that I didn't expect was by:

1. Building a rough prototype...in my case etched my own PCB
2. Figuring out how (and with what parts) to build the transformer
3. Verifying the SMPS IC is working ok
4. Testing, debugging, and fixing a the little mistakes!
5. ...and so on.. (RC snubbers, optional regulation, etc.)

I did not see where you specified the power requirements & output voltages required, but it's fairly easy to get a "split rail" (both positive & negative voltages) step-up design working. You can look at the high-power 12V car SMPS designs on the web as a starting point.

Now, if you mean step-down AC-DC SMPS, I'm not sure about that.

PS: You need to be sure to keep plenty of MOSFETs on hand!!!

Good luck :)

EDIT: Ooops, I guess you did mean AC power source?? If so please overlook unrelated topics in my post.

Cal Weldon,
Thank you for letting me know.
I have changed my sig from caps. But I do not see any question marks.

Thank you.

Cal Weldon,

You said:

While you are at it, would you please change your sig line so it isn't all caps and eliminate those annoying question marks. It's all very distracting.

You mentioned "While you are at it". Does that mean you do not want me to be a member of DIY Audio? If you want, I can quit your forum.

Thanks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
S.G. Mahbub said:
I have changed my sig from caps. But I do not see any question marks.

¬¾¸Í¤¬Ç ¬Í¯¬¹¾°¯Ë—ͯ š¿¨Í¤¾§¾°¾‡ ®¾¨Á·Ç° ªÍ°•Ã¤ ¸®Íª¦d

It is this last bit that Cal is talking about... it is, i'm guessing, meant to be a line in a non-roman letter language -- it is showing up in Cal's browser as question marks, in mine as a row of glyphs (all the same) and as jibberish in the edit window,

We welcome everyone (who is willing to broadly follow the rules) to the forum. We try to be very liberal but we do insist on keeping things civil.

dave

Attachments

• glyphs.png
    glyphs.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 214
Dear S.G. Mahbub ,
I think you misunderstand the term "While you are at it".
It means , while you are doing one thing ( editing.........changing caps ) do something else also.
In this case the character below your sig line. On my browser it looks like empty squares.........lots of them ! It doesn't really mean anything and does take up some bytes of storage . Takes many drops of water to make the ocean !
You shouldn't get upset at such small things .

Dear planet10,
In Unicode, the Bengali meaning of my sig is written. Since it is in Unicode, it should be visible to the viewer. I use Mozilla Firefox and I can clearly see what I have written. I have seen it in other computers also.

Thanks.

Hi,
I do not understand the problem here.
It is visible in my browser as well.
I also write Bengali which is the translation of my sig as well.
Tolik has written in Hebrew, so we should be allowed to write in Bengali.

The strongest man in the world is one, who stands alone for achieving something good.
পৃথিবীতে সেই সবচেয়ে শক্তিশালী ব্যক্তি, যে ভাল কিছু অর্জনের জন্য একাই নিরন্তর চেষ্টা চালিয়ে যায়।

Dear S.G. Mahbub ,
Different browsers seem to display the Bengali characters differently. You don't seem to accept that.
Here is a screen grab of what I see on my browser.
Now that everyone understands what their displays should have been , let's go ahead from here and drop this matter and continue with the smps design.
Cheers.

I'm going to bed. It's late over here.

Attachments

• diyaudio.jpg
    diyaudio.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 230
Cal Weldon,
You are a moderator and you must see more than others. In this forum, people from all over the world are taking part and most of them are using their valuable time in this forum to take and give something. So, if you cannot see anything in your browser, try to install new software/modalities to see what others can see. And your language and approach is also not commensurate with a moderator, who should be an example in approach and language. If chief moderator does not like anything, he is having means to correct/erase/advice but should not use a tool like you.

With thanks.

In my comments about EMC I didn't mean to provoke an argument (although God knows I love an argument).

Obviously this is an smps forum, and there are going to be people discussing smps and building them.

All I intended was to give some serious advice to somebody contemplating building an smps, much as the advice would be to somebody contemplating building a radio transmitter. Sure, put together a spark-gap transmitter and wipe out half the neighbourhood? 100 years ago yes, but not in today's environment.

I don't suggest that the combined efforts of smps-building audiophiles have a serious impact on worldwide EM radiation levels. I don't intend my remarks to inhibit anyone's enthusiasm or desire to learn, and nor can I take seriously the idea that they would.

I just used the legislation to draw attention to a non-trivial aspect of a non-trivial design exercise, and deliver a warning that I would have thought even a diehard smps enthusiast would have endorsed. Ask (another) radio amateur how he feels about your intention to build a transmitter. If he has a licence, I guarantee his enthusiasm over your interest will be moderated by cautions.

w

golam said:
but should not use a tool like you.

I trust this is another language barrier kind of thing. ;) In English, calling someone a tool is an offensive and denigrating term.

As for the rest of your concerns, I am not one to mince words. My typing skills are limited so I tend to get right to the point. I am trying trying to offend.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
S.G. Mahbub said:
Dear planet10,
In Unicode, the Bengali meaning of my sig is written. Since it is in Unicode, it should be visible to the viewer. I use Mozilla Firefox and I can clearly see what I have written. I have seen it in other computers also.

Thanks.

Firefox gives me a row of question Marks. Unicode 16 turns the whole page into Chinese.

Tried a whole whack of text encodings , none brought anything but questions marks or goobldegook -- that is how most people will see it.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.