Where to buy inductors (Australia)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On the subject of using multiple inductors to achieve a given value and/or series resistance the proximity of the inductors will be critical. Check out this link. It is an eye opener. Placement of coils in crossover networks. I discovered after spending many hours on Protel and laying out a very neat looking Xover PCB that I had broken a few basic rules. Inductance change and crosstalk can totally spoil the over all outcome.

As far as inductor suppliers I use WES Components for some values and Speakerbug for others. I weigh up the best price versus specifications to choose the supplier. The Jantzen range from Speakerbug is quite extensive however and the price seems quite good. Postage is quick too.

Thanks for that link, at the bottom of that page is interesting regarding the placement of coils on the crossover network, I've also made a mistake or 2 in the past. :( I set up my two coils like number '5' whereas I should've done it like number '6'. :mad:

What is the effect on sound quality when this is done wrong? Never done a back to back test myself. Is it very audible?

Thanks

Thanks for that link, at the bottom of that page is interesting regarding the placement of coils on the crossover network, I've also made a mistake or 2 in the past. :( I set up my two coils like number '5' whereas I should've done it like number '6'. :mad:

What is the effect on sound quality when this is done wrong? Never done a back to back test myself. Is it very audible?

Thanks

When I re oriented the inductors on my Xovers I found the detail improved at higher listening levels. It seems that the MF series inductor was crosstalking with the HF parallel one. This would make sense as there would be a lot more energy in the MF region than in the HF. It's not that it sounded bad before, quite the contrary but paying attention to the inductor placement did make a noticeable improvement.

I did a little test yesterday after reading this, I put an inductance meter on a 0.47mH coil and it measures fine.

I then connected up a 1.8mH coil in series with a woofer in a box (cheap quick setup) and while playing music some music, I moved the 0.47mH coil (only connected to the meter, not part of the crossover) around near the 1.8mH coil and true enough the measured value started varying, and it got much worse when turned up loud.

The link above confirms exactly what I measured in terms of proximity to each other at different angles etc.

I thought it was interesting anyway :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.