Where is HarryHaller? - I tried search in the memberlist but he was not there?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen, it would be much more interesting to read threads with technical diskussion, themes like this belong into kindergarten, or say school for the 13 to 16 year old kids.

may we all break up this childish pro / con Harry stuff? the aleph X design wants us to build it, to bring some practical DIY experience into the forum.

Even if he is a (he shelf calls) troublemaker, i´m glad he is still in here.

Elvis back from the dead???

Have you been watching the Elvis thing on Channel 4 news all week? Faking your demise to make the Colonel rich.

Dice:

Herr Holler is proud to be of Germanic heritage. An annoying pain to deal with, but that is why some of us love him so much.

So Ren........you can go back to loathing MOSFETs in private. And thinking up ways to annoy me. Yes, I don't like them either, but Harry is still our friend. Amazing.

Jocko

Mojo

I'd rather be that one dark haller
Where the sun don't ever shine
Than to be in some big city
In a small room with you on my mind.

H.H.

P.S. Sorry Jerry and we still miss you.

Attachments

• 106621.jpg
    106621.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 295
Honorable Harry

I say Harry is perfectly ok, and the more of his, Jocko's and the like, intellectual inputs the better.
I say that it is interesting, informative and refreshing to hear experienced real world EE points of view, as opposed to the sometimes inane and erroneous drivel that goes down here, and even worse on some other forums.

When Harry is asked an intelligent question, he invariably gives an experienced, informed, and intelligent answer, and is happy to give all manner of appropriate links to help the novice and expert alike in further self study.

Ever notice his 'one liner' replies pointing out an improvement, error, omission, or caution ?
This is not being rude, rather, that is all that needs to be said in the contexts concerned.
It seems that Harry is accused of the sins of omission and percieved brevity in his replies, and this seems somehow to be misconstrued as being caustic.

Some questions posted here, reveal the authors to be under informed, and too lazy to go and do the appropriate researching, study and investigation before posting a stupid question.
When asked a stupid question, certainly, he sometimes reveals his disdain, but who suffers fools gladly except for another fool.

I know I don't, hence my reply linked below -
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3578
Even Harry has not gone nearly this far, though I suspect/expect he/we have been sometimes sorely tempted. - I had PWS that day.

Guys, we have a fantastic wealth of very experienced talent here, guys who are most capable and willing teachers, guys who have gone through the ropes to get to where they are now, guys who have done the experiments and measurements, guys who should be listened to and respected, and before old and good knowledge is lost.

Smart alec jibes, pictures, sledging Aussies etc, does not worry me in the slightest - IME this stirring can be part of building friendly and fruitfull relationships.
The TWICE straight out offensive and culturally and language illiterate antics of the likes of 'mr slice' DO concern me however, and feel that this event singularly, has somewhat soured this forum, and for me more so, the lack of official public reprimand.

Peace Man,

H.H
That says it all,
Regards, Eric.

Wow, do I ever disagree. Having knowledge and experience is one thing, but ridiculing others is quite another. Anybody who thinks we need to risk a storm of abuse to get an answer to a simple question has serious social issues.
I don't have a problem with conflict provided it is done in a dignified manner. Read some of Geoff's posts for good examples. If you guys want a forum where abuse and ridicule is commonplace, there are such things out there. No need to attempt to change this one.

I just think you are way too sensitive, paulb. With comments like this you upsetting more people that you might really think. Actually you are not less discriminating than H.H. The only difference is that you are wasting forum's space (with those comments) and he doesn't ( providing he doesn't post pictures of cats and motorcycles).;)

Account Disabled
Joined 2002
what is wrong with cats and motorcycles?!:D

PaulB,
Yes and no... Yes, we don't need to risk abuse, but no, we don't need to be so sensitive to a little criticism either. I would be one to agree more with you than with the other people posting (hh fan club?). At the same time, I recognize that sometimes I am being thick about something, and when it comes down to it, a direct comment that wakes me up is sometimes what I need (take that, smack smack, Ouch!):eek: But, Harry was just being an egotistical jackass a lot of the time, and it wasn't productive. I guess that's the difference- if what is being said is productive, or destructive.
For example, when I was harassing poor bose(o) on the gee whiz look at the amazing bose deal thread, I found it insulting that you decided to police what I said. Even though my intent was not to take bose(o) down a notch, I did insult him. It was not constructive, and I apologized for it.
Directness without being insulting is a gift few have and can be of benefit, so don't be so quick to judge. As for the ones who are insulting with intent to put someone down, now that is what we should look out for. Especially when it gets to the point of over-riding the intended discussion.
Political correctness sucks! "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."
Let's all get over the jocko thing. After all, he has been EXTREMELY helpful and on topic as of the his last few posts! It must really hurt!:D
Steve

HPotter said:
I just think you are way too sensitive, paulb.
C'est possible.

HPotter said:
Actually you are not less discriminating than H.H. The only difference is that you are wasting forum's space (with those comments) and he doesn't ( providing he doesn't post pictures of cats and motorcycles).;)
I don't quite understand what you mean, but we agree this is a waste of the forum space. That was (I think) my first post on the matter; this will be my last. Let's move on.
Actually I've really enjoyed Harry's pictures. Britney with a heatsink is a classic. But I have high-speed access.

I find it very sad and unfortunate that anyone recommending good manners and general civilized behavior is accused of being politically correct.
Some members are beginning to sound like street toughs jeering at passers-by who happen not to be part of their gang. All they lack is the cigarette dangling from one corner of their mouths to complete the image. Like gang members, their strength lies in being one of a pack; alone they aren't quite so cocky. The neighborhood is indeed deteriorating if this is what passes for day-to-day behavior at DIYaudio.
On a related note, I don't find myself urging members to use the search engine quite so often as I used to. Granted, a lot of information is out there, but it's very difficult to find. Ever try a search at Google and get 27,000 hits? The search engine here is less refined and many people, myself included, seem to be having trouble finding things. The last search I tried, I was unable to locate what I was seeking in spite of remembering bits of unique dialog from the thread. I gave up after wasting 40 minutes of my evening. A newbie wouldn't even have the memory of snippets of dialog to go on. I can see why they give up.
Don't be so quick to condemn those who are unable to find things via the search engine. Their only recourse is us, and if we fail them then they don't learn. If they don't learn, then why come here?
Other than to parade around with a cigarette dangling from your mouth, that is...

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.