where have you been all my life sealed speakers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WAF? Pffft!

Translation: I married the wrong woman.

This is my weapon of mass audio destruction. Sealed 18s. Still on paper at the moment. Need to build a studio out back first that's large enough for them. Hoping by the end of the year.

se

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 254
Shall we get back on topic with sealed speakers? I like this sort of thing, so I'll tell you about a couple of vintage treasures in this genre.

I used to have these popular 1970's Wharfedale Linton speakers, and quite decent they were too.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Simple half section crossover, 4 components. Two for bass, two for treble:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks like 1,25mH, 25uF NP, 0.18mH and 10uF NP. Low 1.2kHz crossover to that unusual mylar cone. Bit of stuffing inside and very solid chipboard carpentry.

I then got the bigger Melton, a sort of Dynaco A25 style, which cleverly avoided 25% luxury purchase tax by having a 12" bass which made it fit in the professional bracket:

Just a 0.8mH coil on the bass, and the same treble filter.

I've spent time recreating the Linton with a more modern approach. I use a KEF 2nd/3rd order filter with the 2" Monacor HT22-8 cone tweeter, with a 7.5R/1uF Zobel rolloff for the mellow top end which probably doesn't go above 10kHz. They have what we used to call "a nice TONE". You could swear they are driven by valves, just like the old radiograms. :)

Attachments

• Modified_MA-R300MD_HT22-8.jpg
    Modified_MA-R300MD_HT22-8.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 57
I've been looking at a lot of sealed speakers of yesteryear there are so many I would like to try by acoustic research advent rogers and infinity just to name a few. So many big brands made sealed speaks just up and quit. The same can be said about Boston acoustic. The ones I have from the mid 90s sound better then the couple of modern models Ive listened to. I wasn't very impressed with their modern subs either. Heres some great looking sealed ARs before future shop and best buy were ever around and quality dipped. I may try to seek out a pair. If not something similar.

Attachments

• dsc_3715.jpg
    dsc_3715.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 208
Kef and dynaco are more interest grabbers. I read so many good things about the a25. I owned some bbc monitors which sounded great but they were ported. Rogers has some vintage closed box speakers also worth mentioning.

AR 302, don't they look nice.

Attachments

• AR_302.JPG
    AR_302.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Have you ever listen to Boston Lynnfield 500 L or 400L : closed band pass with two 7" :

fast and deep pass, the second one is my everyday speaker... 35 hz to 125 hz : third order : first mechanical (around 90 hz)+ second electrical order...

Second are near : kef 104/2 : two 8 " ; xo at 150 !

real mid bass for both, second without Cube has only superb mi-bass wich is enough for rock in most home !

If a big boy one day : I dream for VOTT for mid-bass...with a huge closed cabinet only for bass with a simple (infinite) air load...behind the cone ! Just need the money, the room and a house away from neighboors... haha !

Shall we get back on topic with sealed speakers? I like this sort of thing, so I'll tell you about a couple of vintage treasures in this genre.

Nice.

These are the speakers I bought for my first "real" stereo system back in '76 when I was 16 and recently landed my first "real" job. Pioneer CS-99As. Fifteen inch sealed woofers. They really integrated well in the relatively small room that I had them in. They were a really FUN speaker and at around 95dB sensitivity, the 45 watt Pioneer integrated amp could really light them up.

se

Edit: What, you can only attach one image per post?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.