Where can I find replacement part numbers for IC's, either obsolete or upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The short:

Is there a website that lists part equivalents? I am looking to upgrade some of the IC's on a broken plasma television power supply.

The Long:
I am repairing a Dell W5001C that I found on the curb for the trash. The power supply seems to be the source of the problem as it doesn't measure to spec. Since there are no obvious part failures, no smell or char or exploded caps, I am going to replace every IC on the board that I can with a new one. (luckily there are only 7 DIP-8 IC's, and one much larger one with a rubbed off part number that hopefully isn't the problem).

I found an instructable from a guy who fixed the supply on his broken w5001c. He identified and replaced the broken IC with a more robust equivalent, and I am wondering if anyone here knows how one could find an equivalent without pouring through datasheets (perhaps that is the only way).

I am going to buy extras and socket all the IC's, so I guess I could always just plug a new one in if they go bad, but it would be nice to replace them with the best parts possible so failure is less likely (a lot of problems have been had with this power supply).

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Aaron.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.