Where can i buy Elna Caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I have a Pioneer Amplifier and i noticed one of the two large caps in the PSU area is starting to dome at the top. My limited knowledge of electronics tells me its days are numbered.

Its an ELNA LP 8200uF 71V, looking to buy two of them as the AMP is getting on in years. Manufactured ~1999.

Thanks,

Mark

The replacement doesn't necessarily have to be ELNA.

8200uF 71V is an unusual value. Can you still measure the Vcc across it to find the voltage that you need ?

Any reasonable 10000uF 80V cap will fit the bill.

I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions but Panasonic from www.rs-online.com seem to be very popular and commonly available around the World.

The key words here are SIZE and QUALITY.

Firstly establish how much space you have, lead spacing and physical package.

Then just look at the Main Street vendors to see what will fit.

Whereabouts are you in the World ?

Different suppliers will suit different markets and different budgets better.

Great info thanks folks. I'm in Ireland so really dosent matter where i order from, i aint going to find them here.

Couldnt find anything suitable on the RS site, i did however find two ELNA 10000uf 80volts on EBAY of all places. Sellers listed in Hong Kong, sound genuine or fake?

Have the unit back together now and never thought to physically measure them, they look exactly like the ones listed below, and have plenty of space around them should the replacements be a bit larger or taller.

2 PCS ELNA LAO FOR AUDIO CAPACITOR 10000Uf/80V ORIGINAL | eBay
2x ELNA 10000uf 80v Top Grade Capacitor for audio | eBay

I'm still searching. Having googled the ELNA caps i have come to the conclusion all the EBAY and Webshops are just selling chinese knockoffs. So i have given up on getting a like for like replacement.

I couldnt find anything suitable on the RS site that is two pin (snap in?), ~10000uf and 100v.

Mouser seems to have a few options, Panasonic, Chemi-Con, Dubilier etc but i need to get my head around the different model series, Ripple Currents, ESR, and just what exactly defines an "audio grade" capacitor. I have awoken my inner geek and have a hunger for knowledge :)

Thanks again for the help..

These look like the ticket, if the lead pitch is proper and they are snap in:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/207377-elna-audio-10-000uf-80v.html

I got some from Pocoyo (on his previous cap sale) and they certainly look real.

Your caps may have 4 prongs, two are for mounting and are not mandatory to have, you need to identify the active leads and measure the distance between them ( the "lead pitch"). If they otherwise fit, you are good to go.

Last edited:
Those caps in your link look dodgy, I don't know for sure they are fake, but they sure look like it.
Look at how streaky the gold ink is on those caps.

Don't worry so much about getting "designer" caps, especially for the power supply. Fakers prey on that. Most victims can't even tell.

Stick to the known sellers like DigiKey or Mousers.
One can't help but wonder if DigiKey does not carry it how come some dude in the far east always seems to have the good stuff? Hmmm.

Big Elna caps are rarely found in shops. I think they are OEM only. They are almost exclusively used in Japanese amplifiers.

Any brand will do, though. I'd avoid Elna due to them being hard to come by, as well as usually being very expensive, if you do.

And the ones on Ebay are almost guaranteed to be fake, I'm afraid.

Pocoyo's caps seem good, but are quite old (2002). Should do fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.