When optimizing, go for Lowest 3rd harmonics .. not THD!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Andre Visser said:

I haven't tried but do you think even headphones can reproduce a 10 or 15Khz square wave without starting to change it into sinewave?

I am sure you are correct. It's interesting though. Anyone put a mic in front of their speakers and seen what the waveshape is like with a squarewave.
Even so the headphone test is interesting, try it !

Mike,
How much 7th and 9th harmonic should be permitted?
That`s not our problem, rather the instrument maker`s dilemma. The overtones of acoustic instruments are rarely multiple integers of fundamentals and can mean serious dissonances. Our job is designing amplifiers, which faithfully reproduce those sounds.

keantoken,
there`s nothing vague about this matter.

Pan said:
Do you know for sure that the redbook layer and the SACD layer used the exact same master?

Did you level match? SACD and redbook often have different levels.

It's easy to draw wrong conclusions. :)

I've compared a SACD with the same CD also. All these variables is the reason why I said "I believe" :D

The kind of differences that I've heard were never noticed by me on any CD.

The things I listen for in music isn't that much affected by volume levels and my system sound relatively the same over a fairly wide volume range.

Pan said:
......... however a roll off of about 1/10 of a dB at 10kHz and 2-3/10 of a dB at 20kHz is easily heard. These small differences often are described as something else than a "roll off" such as cleaner, higher resolution and so on. This is probably the major reason for audible diffrencec in cables, only people are not aware of it and prefer to believe in vodoo and snake oil instead of accepting science. :) [/B]

I believe the problem lie in the way that the brain perceive sound against what we measure, for instance mid and high freqs influence bass quality.

Pan said:
Also remember that most music has very little HF content and both mic's and speakers have limited HF output so one really has to question the need for gear able to playback 100kHz.
/Peter [/B]

I'm not worried about 100Khz but I do think 30 to 40Khz might make a difference.

André

Pan said:
First I want to thank you for a civilized debate and second, nope, no CD's for sale. I plan on starting a business after new year though so maybe in the future I can offer some. Possibly I can post some clips in the beginning of next year.

I'm mostly interested in folk, easy-jazz, solo and smaller ensembles but also choir and organ.
/Peter

Thanks to you also, I can't understand the need to get nasty if we disagree, discussing differences is part of learning.

That is my favourite music too, please mail me when you are ready.

Lumba Ogir said:
Hi everyone,
look what high-order harmonic distortion products do to the precious signal waveform. Your highly dependable software would show exactly the same THD level for (b) and (c).
Just another illustration of how worthless the THD standard is (SMPTE and CCIF not a bit better), so don`t be so delighted every time, maybe Nirvana is not reached after all.
I don't get it. If I use PXTone to manipulate a sine as in the "bad" example, it doesn't look like it a bit. How was these waveforms produced? I still don't believe in the "law of evenly falling harmonics" that adding 2nd order harmonics masks "nasty" distortion products. Just listen to a sine that way. It'll sound like a saw. Some people seem to like a manipulated "warm", "tubey" sound with "texture" and "body", and that's OK, but the quest must continue in the direction of no coloration at all.

nelsonvandal,
I don't get it. If I use PXTone to manipulate a sine as in the "bad" example, it doesn't look like it a bit. How was these waveforms produced?
Probably with a more capable and reliable equipment. What you have more or less is a toy providing misleading information.
Just listen to a sine that way. It'll sound like a saw. Some people seem to like a manipulated "warm", "tubey" sound with "texture" and "body", and that's OK, but the quest must continue in the direction of no coloration at all.
It`s time to get rid of some misconceptions. Second harmonics don`t make the sound grainy, JFETs don`t sound grainy and single-ended stages produce less graininess. You have no idea where the graininess and coloration comes from, that software fools you completely. Delete it now.
adding 2nd order harmonics masks "nasty" distortion products.
I`ve never put it that way, not even right after twelve-fifteen beers. The ear masks some harmonic and IM distortion. Lifting the often poor level of low order harmonics improves the tonal balance (perceived sound).
(The masking phenomenon usually denotes masking of certain simultaneously present tones, has a different mechanism and a weaker impact).
I still don't believe in the "law of evenly falling harmonics"
It`s not a law, but the aural harmonic distortion happens to fall evenly, in increasing order. See below and in post #150. This, of course, does not necessarily need to prevent you from believing that the produced distortion of each harmonic order ideally should be zero.

Very Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• e1.png
    e1.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 300
Lumba Ogir said:
nelsonvandal,

Probably with a more capable and reliable equipment. What you have more or less is a toy providing misleading information.

Very Merry Christmas.

Sorry, I didn't realize my error at the time of posting. There are probably flash programs out there that do a much better. Anyways, I looked at the output of the program with my oscilloscope and found it had some funny shaped crossover distortion, most likely "towards zero" rounding rather than true decimal rounding which sometimes happens as a result of improper FPU programming.

Anyway, if we had a reliable program we could use like this we might be able to put our knowledge into more tangible form.

Merry Christmas,
- keantoken

Lumba Ogir said:
The ear masks some harmonic and IM distortion. Lifting the often poor level of low order harmonics improves the tonal balance (perceived sound).

Maybe you should add "to me" in that text?

;-)

Because to me, reducing total distortion by reducing even order harmonics have given much better results. I have tried it in power amps, line stages and mic preamps and confirmed by measurements.

Once the distortion gets below a certain level it becomes inaudible and it does not matter what spectrum the distortion has. Also confirmed by blind listening tests.

/Peter

Lumba Ogir said:
Hi everyone,
look what high-order harmonic distortion products do to the precious signal waveform. Your highly dependable software would show exactly the same THD level for (b) and (c).
Just another illustration of how worthless the THD standard is (SMPTE and CCIF not a bit better), so don`t be so delighted every time, maybe Nirvana is not reached after all.

Utterly :bs:, Lumba. You either picked those graphs out of context, or those graphs are flat wrong.

Look at fig. c That cannot be the graph of a sum of harmonics. Proof: A sum of sines is as much an odd function as the sine itself. This means that:

a1*sin(w*t)+a2*sin(2*w*t)+...+an*sin(n*w*t) = -(a1*sin(-w*t)+a2*sin(-2*w*t)+...+an*sin(-n*w*t))

OTOH, sin(n*w*t) = -sin(n*w*(t+T/2))

The above shows that a harmonic sum should be symmetrical against the x axis and t=t+T/2

Graph c) obviously isn't. I can tell it has some non-harmonic components added, something like sin(n*w*t)^k The same in graph b), it's asymmetric as well.

Attached is the right graph to replace c) for a 1KHz fundamental (I didn't bother to normalize the amplitudes).

I'm not saying that THD is anywhere the universal QA metric, it's just about using the right arguments. In the future, if you need to make a point, do yourself a favour and stick to the subjective stuff. Apparently, everything else might blow straight in your face.

Attachments

• harmonic.jpg
    harmonic.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 266
Pan said:
..........Once the distortion gets below a certain level it becomes inaudible and it does not matter what spectrum the distortion has. Also confirmed by blind listening tests./Peter

My understanding / belief also. It just makes sense to me that there is a limit to human hearing abilities. DBTing says we have reached that limit, but there are people who 'say' we haven't ..................I am perplexed.

fredex said:

My understanding / belief also. It just makes sense to me that there is a limit to human hearing abilities. DBTing says we have reached that limit, but there are people who 'say' we haven't ..................I am perplexed.

For the most part I agree, but I'm not sure it is so easy to decide using the simple tests. Remember, the brain is a COMPUTER, not entirely an analog invention.

Personally, when I lay down to rest, after a bit of relaxation I can hear my pocket watch ticking about 6 feet away. If I get too excited, the ticking fades away. But once I relax again the ticking comes back to haunt me. If I get up and start listening to music, I can pick out more details. It really does depend on states of mind and relaxation. But everyone is different, it is probably best if we all do our thing whilst trying our best not to get in someone else's way. For the most part, an engineer will design his amps in whichever way he sees fit and sell them, so there's not much point in arguing. If you don't like any of the amps out there, build your own.

- keantoken

Terrible, MJL. Meany. :dead:

Relaxing is tough. It has to do with hypnosis/meditation and I practice every time I go to bed. Once you get relaxed enough there are plenty of noises that can distract you. Ordinarily low noises will cause problems.

Yes, I meditate. ooohmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Clear thinking depends a lot in relaxation and inner peace. when one's mind is clear there is a lot more potential for creative thought and ingenuity.

There is plenty of meditation-related material on the 'net. There are also plenty of clockwork monkeys out there to try and turn you into an enlightened machine.

- keantoken

Peter,
compose yourself, you have only made a lot of hugger-mugger statements in this thread so far.
We have limitations in what we can hear and perceive.
Certainly so. But it does hurt to know those limitations.
Signals of low enough amplitude can not be heard
What do you mean by that?
signals with high enough frequency can not be heard
Research shows that the ear/brain does register ultrasonic spectral energy influencing sound perception.
I `ve said why wide bandwidth is needed concerning high frequency harmonics. It is also needed to keep other distortions like TIM and DIM low.
The frequency range of musical instruments is much wider than you seem to realize. 20Hz-20kHz does not even fully cover the human voice.
Because to me, reducing total distortion by reducing even order harmonics have given much better results.
Somewhat unusual procedure indicating a peculiar sonic taste to me. By the way, how do you reduce even order harmonics with a selective precision?
Once the distortion gets below a certain level it becomes inaudible and it does not matter what spectrum the distortion has.
The question is rather, what spectrum the sound has by that treatment.

Lumba,

do you have a soundcard or if not, can you borrow one?

If you're in Stockholm or not very far we can do some test together.

Loop some music thru the sound card and then loop the same material thru your high distortion amp. Normalize these files and send them to me without telling which file is which and I will do a blind test trying to identify them. If what you say is thrue I will not be able to tell the files apart.

When that is done, I will present to you two similar files where the distortion spectrum is low but different to what you suggest and I want You to identify them blind.

Are you game?

/Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.