When did acoustic suspension become infinite baffle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
noah katz said:
I never much liked "acoustic suspension"; it's more marketing speak than a descriptive term.

"Air suspension" would be much more accurate.

"Acousitic suspension" been used by Villchur since the early fifties when the idea of a box colume much smaller than the Vas first appeared. I believe Villchur was the one who specified the 3 to 1 ratio as well.

noah katz said:
"Acoustic suspension is when the Vas/Vb ratio is less than 3. Infinite baffle is when the ratio is 3 or above."

Are you sure it's not Vb/Vas?

The acoustic suspension design, as outlined by Villchur, required a Vas/Vb ratio of 3 to 1 or greater.

noah katz said:
Either way, I disagree. In science and engineering, "infinite" is used where increasing a value has no further significant effect.

Even at Vb = 3 Vas, the total stiffness is 3 parts from the air and 1 part from the driver, giving Fc = 1.15Fs.
Strictly speaking, you're entirely correct. but the volume requirements to implements an Infinite Baffle become so great, people started fudging. And even Fc = 1.15 Fs only means that you have raised Fs two tenths of an an octave.

noah katz said:
To qualify as IB, I'd say Fc should be no more than 5% higher than Fs.
Not a bad standard to set. But to do it would require a box volume ten times the Vas. A 12 incher with a Vas of six cubic feet would require a box of sixty cubic feet to qualify. This is why people started fudging on the terminology.

"I believe Villchur was the one who specified the 3 to 1 ratio as well."

Actually, that makes sense if the idea is that the air spring dominates over the mechanical stiffness.

"But to do it would require a box volume ten times the Vas. "

Well, that's what people get when you try to build something infinite :)

IB is more aptly applied when there is no box, like using an attic or garage space for the back volume.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.