"What's your reasoning?" and not "What's your belief?".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
WaltJ said:
[snip] But one can, optionally, usefully compensate for a non-linear bipolar front end. An example was shown in: Jung, W., "Optimizing Op Amp Transfer Linearity," within Boak, J.: ‘The Headphone Connection’, The Audio Amateur, Issue 3/1982. [snip]Walt Jung

Hi Walt,

Thanks for bringing that article to the front again. The concept of 'pre-distorting' the input to complement the input stage non-linearity is quite elegant.
I am aware of only one opamp that actually has this on-chip, the LM13700 (and it's sister, the 13600), which could be seen as the archetypical 'current feedback' amp. The diodes are on the chip and a pin is provided to set the diode bias. I have used this chip open-loop and know that the technique is quite effective.

Jan Didden

MikeB said:
From my understanding, when OL-BW IS < audio-BW, the only chance to reduce the TIM is to reduce openloopdistortion, means linearizing inputstage and vas. But typically this reduces openloopgain, hence increase openloop-BW ?

There's two major ways to reduce TIM for a voltage feedback configuration. One is to increase the gain-bandwidth product (provided this does not degrade input stage linearity). The other is to linearize the input stage. Or you can do both. Increasing the open-loop bandwidth while holding the gain-bandwidth product constant does nothing to improve TIM whatsoever. It only increases the low-frequency distortion. This post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=482046#post482046 talks a little more about that, and was one of the posts that started this thread.

Hi Walt,

Thanks for bringing that article to the front again. The concept of 'pre-distorting' the input to complement the input stage non-linearity is quite elegant.
I am aware of only one opamp that actually has this on-chip, the LM13700 (and it's sister, the 13600), which could be seen as the archetypical 'current feedback' amp. The diodes are on the chip and a pin is provided to set the diode bias. I have used this chip open-loop and know that the technique is quite effective.

Jan Didden

Yes, Jan, thnx for pointing that out. These are not true op amps tho, as they have a gm type output stage. But, it is certainly true that their distortion is low, so low in fact that they can be readily used as gain controls.. I think I did an AES paper on this, way back when. Real way back, in fact (1974!)

Walt Jung

PS: Hey, I just thought of a neat experiment. Rig up one of these rascals in a feedback setup, with the linearization diodes switchable in/out! PIM OFF/PIM ON ...

" But one can, optionally, usefully compensate for a non-linear bipolar front end. An example was shown in: Jung, W., "Optimizing Op Amp Transfer Linearity," within Boak, J.: ‘The Headphone Connection’, The Audio Amateur, Issue 3/1982. "

Any suggestions for applying this technique (parts, etc.) to the LM4780, as I have BrianGT's kit on preorder from chipamp.com and was thinking about looking back into that article for help to see if the technique could make a better (in my opinion) chipamp power amplifier...

Thanks!

Swedish Chef said:
Yes, that was exactly what I was saying. IMD of 14 kHz and 15 kHz will create fq components at 13 kHz, 16 kHz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz and so on which are within the passband whereas THD will not.
/Magnus

Easily sidestepped by merely taking THD at each of those frequencies....More laborious of course......

Then again hardly anyone can hear distortion of up to 30% beyond 16KHz... :(

mikeks said:

I suspect you'll find TIM is male, and PIM is the alpha-female... :clown:

Once there was a nice lady by the name of 1KHz test tone.

She happened to meet a hairy guy, OpAmp he was known as.
Not being the stright and linear type, it was bound to happen. THD was born soon enough.

But the worst was yet to come. For OpAmp managed to have bussiness with a wicked chicken a few hundred hHz away.

So not at all unexpectedly, IM came to see light.
PIM and TIM twins followed suit, though people has a hard time to tell one from the other.

OpAmp is under trial now, the jury is out.

Rodolfo

IP3 for audio

Andy_C (and everybody else),

what do you think about using the IP3 point as a figure of merit for an audio system? I am actually talking loudspeakers rather than amplifiers here.

But for say a prosound system it could possibly be kind of convenient to state say IP3 = xxx dB at xx meters. That would give you a ball park figure as how clean output one could expect and if a proposed system is up to the task.

/M

Re: IP3 for audio

Swedish Chef said:
Andy_C (and everybody else),

what do you think about using the IP3 point as a figure of merit for an audio system? I am actually talking loudspeakers rather than amplifiers here.

Interesting thought. I've never looked at distortion spectra of speakers before, so I can't say. Soon I'll be getting a calibrated microphone with the ETF software, which has a distortion measurement capability. It will be interesting to see the results. I'll have to be careful to do the measurements when my neighbors aren't at home though!

I've never looked at distortion spectra of speakers before

Chances are you won't be too impressed by the numbers... ;)
I am going to post this question to Bill Fitzmaurice in the Loudspeaker forum.

I'll have to be careful to do the measurements when my neighbors aren't at home though!

Well, for some particular reason my neighbours never seem to enjoy the percussion intro to Floyd's Time the way I do...

Post #474
For Walt Jung:

Look at this article (maybe you already have) which looks like a single-ended version of the previously discussed 'pre-distortion'. I wonder if this could be used in a LTP. Looks neat, no?

http://www.reed-electronics.com/edn...ges/91604di.pdf

(Scroll down to : "Diode compensates distortion in amplifier stage")

Jan Didden

Yes, I did see that. But not applicable as presented to diff pairs. If you go all the way back to Gilbert's 1968 (I think) IEEE paper on the gain cell, it is clear what is needed to compensate for the diff pair tanh function.

But, for whatever the reasons, no such correction (to my knowledge) has ever been used in a general purpose op amp.

There is another scheme that I have used, which was published in a gain control circuit, for ED magazine. I should dig it out and post it. It used a diff. pair wrapped within a feedback loop of one op amp, and the drive to this diff pair then being taken to a second diff. pair, which serves as a current-controlled gain stage. This was copied by Craig Todd in the Signetics 570 series of gain control ICs.

Walt Jung

Jocko Homo said:
Could it be that video stuff is spec'ed for differential gain and phase?

AM-AM & AM-PM for us communication types................

But what about the AD846? I remember an earlier posting of yours about a circuit you had designed (DAC buffer maybe?) that used the 846 and people had an unfavorable subjective reaction to it. I don't understand this at all, having had intimate experience with that op-amp in a radar application. The electrical properties of that op-amp that we measured are outstanding, both in the time domain (settling time and rise time under all kinds of difficult conditions) and the frequency domain (low distortion). I don't have a spec sheet handy, but I suspect differential gain and phase are better than most audio op-amps. Wyn Palmer did a simply superb job on it in IMO. So what does this mean? Are electrical measurements not to be trusted, or are people not to be trusted? I suspect the truth is somewhere in between. Measurements need to be improved, and people's views should not be accepted at face value.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.