What's your pick for drivers in an ultimate 3-way (for music)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
got some speakers for next project, but they should do better than my 4435. THAT's a hell of a problem!!

I'm aiming at
bass: siegfried's W design with Beyma 18g40 or jbl 2256 in br
mid-bass: tad 1201h on klipsch-eliminator like w-horn or short folded 15mi (nexo SI, 15hd) + jbl 2482 on tractrix
mid-high, high: 2-inch or 1-inch tractrix

2226H cannons

>>> JBL 2226H, ported 75L / 40Hz <<<

The 2226H-J and the 2206H can both knock you out cold at anything around 150Hz and down. Used right, these could probably be militarized. No doubt proud overkill for a domestic loudspeaker - a brave soul.

patch

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
At last I made up my mind

18" PrecisionDevices studio woofer, PD.18BR40
12" PD midrange, PDN.12MH25
Beyma CP-755/Ti

Maybe woofer and mid will each get their own amps with each their own adjustable preamp gain module ... that crazy idea puzzles me a bit

I really think its crazyness to have such a thing at home, on the other hand ... all drivers wont cost more than a pair of Lowthers and such

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ok, thanks I didnt see that 380M is a poly driver ... I suppose BMS are the experts there, with their ringradiators
BMS 4591 could be an option mated with a Fostex supertweeter ... but 118db ?? thats a lot
Well, my otherwise great "papery" speakers are beginning to sound a bit tired, too smooth, soft, nice and too much "hifi"
Sure, a project like this is going "over the edge" ... hopefully they wont "flesh" my ears :clown:

Want to make PMC IB1S or similar 3 way

Hi,

It's been 6 years...any updates ? I'm sure there are!

I am new to DIY speaker building but it looks like i have little choice. The speakers i want are way too expensive (PMC IB1S).

I'd need them for studio monitoring, mixing, mastering. I need unforgiving detail & analysis, neutrality and bass that goes at least down to 30Hz (-3dB).

I have looked around a lot and cannot find any kits that seem convincing or cheap enough. Let's say that the budget is approx 1000 US$ for the components and that i have to do the best with that.

Any suggestions ?

Many many thanks in advance !
If you drop by Guanajuato Mexico PM me and we can hook up.

Cheers,
Rick

Transducer Labs N26C-A
PHL 1120
Scan Speak 32W/4578T00

BUT- my current reference build for myself is:

HiVi RT1C-A
Usher 9845
Dayton RSS210HF-4

Later,
Wolf

Thanks a lot. Although that would amount to quite a bit more than 1000 dollars in drivers.
The Scan Speak 32W is about 400€, ie about as much as a 12" Volt similar to that used in the XX000€ PMC MB2's.
Has anyone tested these Volt "Radial" speakers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.