What's your definition of DIY?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Besides all of the great suggestions already posted,
DIY to me means,

To build somthing out of a box junk parts or cheap unspecialized parts that are readily available, that you would never have used in a million years and have been just sitting around for half that time to stare at, and, have it work perfect and reliably for its inteneded purpose just so that some one else can tell you that you did it wrong, and those parts won't work and you should use this part, that isn't even available to you or would have to take out a bank loan to get.

When infact it does work ,because ,it is sitting right in front of you and is working just the way you had designed it to do.

Cheers! jer

Last edited:
.....it is working just the way you had designed it to do.
A most excellent expression! Perhaps this sums up what it is we do.
In my case, I have been called "McGyver" from the old TV show. DIY not only applies to our "hobby" but it encompasses a way of thinking......& doing.
Just today, I fixed our rusted out garbage can.........a simple strategic thought process, a plan.........& implementing said plan. There was an episode on "Two and a half Men" whereby 'Allen' went up on the roof to fix an antenna.
There was references to "call the guy"........a "professional"........when a simple task can be accomplished by ones-self, most don't or can't.
DIY is a state of mind.......a way of thinking...........do I have the intellegence to do this myself? What more can I learn about the world around me? If something catastrophic happened & I was amongst a few hundred humans left on the planet, do I know enough to rebuild the world....from the very ground up? DIY is much more!

_________________________________________________Rick.........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.