Whats the deal with resistors??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Caddock

I was on the phone with Caddock recently (can't recommend them enough) and the applications engineer did not have an explanation for why the Caddock TF020 sounded good to speciality-audio-people, that they were trying to figure it out themselves. He suggested that perhaphs the large area of the device accounted for some of the positive response.

And hey, as a DIYer, as far as Vishay's go.. it's pretty `cool' having parts that NASA used in their Cassini space probe, etc.

-- Aaron

Hello Harry,

thanxalot for your pix!

Hello Chucko,

Originally posted by Chucko

.... Of these, I could easily imagine inductance, capacitance, and voltage coefficient having audible effects on an audio signal. Excess noise is generally just 1/f noise, and with reasonable care in selecting parts and values, I don't see why this should be a concern.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what other properties of real-world resistors might have an effect on their sound?

atleast two other properties should be considered:

1st

is the resisitor magnetic? According to 1st preliminary tests, i would say i prefer nonmagnetic resistors, they lack a certain nastiness magnietic type have. Similar nastiness to those of magnetic capacitors. Affects longterm-listenability and sustain of listeners focus very negatively.

2nd,

the lead-to-element contacting must be superior and must stay that way! 0.1% resistors e.g. never sound real bad, most sound very good just because of that. They have to have a superior contacting just to maintain their 0.1%

dice45 said:
atleast two other properties should be considered:

1st

is the resisitor magnetic?

Can you explain why? Is there some other factor involved? Does this mean we can't hear true sound except on electrostatic speakers? :D

2nd,

the lead-to-element contacting must be superior and must stay that way! 0.1% resistors e.g. never sound real bad, most sound very good just because of that. They have to have a superior contacting just to maintain their 0.1%

OK, I can agree with that. The contacts must remain ohmic and stable under any conditions.

Two

Two questions:

1) I accepted a Caddock TK139 as a substitution for the TF020R which they did not have in the same value. Basically it's the same resistor but on a different substrate. It's 5PPM, .1% tolerance, and costs around $36.40/ea. TF020s are around the same price. Anyone have anything experience with this part?

2) For some time now, the Vishay Z201 has been out. It's an order of magnitude or more better than the very OLD S102 resistor in many areas. Why does it seem like nobody in speciality audio has taken notice?

-- Aaron

Resistors $

The Vishay S102 are about 11.50 to 32.50
The Caddock MK132 are about 3.95 to 6.95
The Caddock TF020 are about 3.95 to 6.95

http://www.percyaudio.com/

I would use the MK132s which sound great and are better value than some others. I was going to get real ambitious I would use the Caddock TF020 for the feedback loops. You really can't get an idea the diffence that resitors make till you go change all of the signal path resistors to something really good. The place I start if some one doesn't want to go nuts is the feedback resistore in amp or preamp. Cartridge loading ressitor is another big deal. The Vishay S102 works magic at this location. For current output DACs, the resistor that is used for the current to voltage conversion is super important. I am really fond of the caddock MK132s and you would be better off changing several of the resistors in a circuit than spend the same for one Vishay. I would also say that the difference between the MK132 and cheap resistors is larger that the difference between the Vishay S102 and the Caddock Mk132. More later....

H.H.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm

Hmm,

If you don't buy Vishay S102s from Vishay, but rather, one of Vishay's licensed manufacturing firms, the price drops to $7-$8 a piece.

For our preamplifier, we are used about 20 Caddock TF020Rs, in 1% and .1% values, and around 20 Vishay S102s.

The Caddock TF020 appears to be better sounding than the MK132 for not much more money, has an easier to work with package (IMO), and has much a better temperature coefficent.

The Vishay S102's are a mixed bag. They sound different than the TF020s but I cannot tell if it is a better sound. So, in our prototype we are using S102s or TF020s in circuit locations, based on part availibity at this time only.

Any opinions on the Vishay Z201 or Caddock TK139?

Seems to me looking at the information on the Z201 that I'd specify in the DAC output stage that you refer to, as it's properties are incredibly superb.

Thanks,

Aaron

Take me down to where the Caddocks are pretty..

Attachments

• cadock.jpg
    cadock.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,263
Check out some photos of resistors i've found at the local scrap metal yards.

http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/Resistors.html

As for the Caddock resistors, the ones i've used in my Nelson Pass's BLS pre-amp are model MP816 1% rated at 20 watts. I'm not sure how those MK-132 or TF-020R model Caddocks are rated. I needed ones at high wattage spec and heatsinkable mounted.

Would you believe in single ended, the pre-amp blew away the sound quality of a Naim 72 pre-amp with external Super Cap power supply. This was driving a tube pre-amp so the Naim may not of liked the impedance load.

magnetic properties

Chucko,

Alternating currents travelling through wires in a circuit produce electromagnetic fields around them. Resistors with magnetic properties are more prone to be effected by these fields. This can create undesireable degeneration of the signal.
I've only scratched the surface of the underlying principles but that should give you a pretty good idea.

Thanks,

Morrist

I would suggest that the best way to choose a resistor is to place it in a circuit and listen. That's what I just did with current to voltage conversion resistor in my DAC. I was using old production Holco and replaced it with the same value Caddock MK132. The sound was more dynamic, however felt somehow muddy and I didn't like it from the beginning. Holcos were smoother and more pleasing and also created sense of more space. They went back to the circuit.
I think it also depends on the rest of the system as well and in my case Holcos just fitted better.

Peter

Re: Resistors

HarryHaller said:
Try the Vishay S102 bulk metal foil here. Also you must allow several days of break in. Caps are notorious about break in also.

To return to the original question, I am still amazed by the difference one resistor at the end of say a passive preamp can sound. Not only this, but the direction of connection of this series resistor makes a difference which is easily heard.

To prove this to myself, I replacesd 3.3k resistor on a Rotal Michi passive preamp with Vishay VSRJ, Alpha bulk foil, Riken metal film in two directions, and an unknown non magnetic metal film. All sound significantly better than the stock cheapo on the unit, but also sound different amongst themselves! I prefer the Vishay; the Alpha sounds more 'rounded' and less explicit, but surprisingly the unknown metal film (1 W size and of Japanese original) sounds quite good.

My conclusion is that resistors are important; you can get rid if capacitors, but much more difficult with resistors!

Just to prove that engineers have open minds too, I am one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.