What's the best pair of speakers you've ever heard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
dynaudio c2 sounded very nice to me on a T&A V10. Not wow but smooth pleasant good tonal balance.

confidence-c2.jpg

UK
LS3/5A
You don't need another picture of these...
I bought them 25+ years ago and still use them!
Lowther Delphics
Again, well known loudspeakers. I bought these 19 years ago and up until recently, they never did it for me. Latest driver upgrades = superb.
DIY OB's as per MJK's designs.
Magnificent... Mine were 15a + 108eZ
I spent more on the crossover than the drivers...

But, as I type now, it's the loathers in near field for me...

Rgds
M

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Most PA speakers are designed to be loud, efficient and rugged / portable with high power handling, then in descending importance things like frequency response, distortion and crossover refinement are considered.
Not when we build with them ;) and there are other less obvious benefits.

The Americans learnt how not to speak English.
Their rhotic accentuations were fairly common in the UK before 200-300 years ago I believe. Although modern English (and Australian) is quite non-rhotic, this style didn't exist before the 15th century.

ATC SCM 300ASL. Sorry, but all others are toys:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

...and I agree with the LS3/5a

Hey Raul
You don't drive an Audi A8 by any chance do you?
I remember having a demo of the ATC100s once upon a time (my son, you understand!) and
an A8 the following day. I remember thinking they were both overwhelmingly competent. I bought neither!(I bought a new Elise instead... Big mistake!) I hate being totally upstaged by my possessions. But then, that's my inadequacy...

Rgds
M

I've heard a lot of great speakers, but since it is impossible to separate the system from the speaker when you're listening at shows, I have to say the best "speaker" I have heard is the aforementioned TAD Reference One.

4 of them playing multichannel recorded by Ray Kimber with his isomike system in DSD using Meitner and Pass Labs. Recording in a large concert hall, he flies his microphone array that isolates the microphones from reflections from the opposite wall with a baffle, and records 2 channels for the front, and two channels for the back. It was the most like stepping into a concert hall of any listening experience I have ever had. Incredibly expensive as a system, and difficult to replicate at home without a dedicated room, not to mention the complete lack of recordings that are done in this way. I believe it was the 2009 Stereophile Show in NYC.

Here is a pick of the front two speakers in the setup, and a pick of the Reference One by itself.

As mentioned previously, Andrew Jones is a great designer, and is great to have him demonstrate his own speakers at shows. His tolerance for absurd questions, including mine, is extraordinary. His monitor speaker is fantastic as well, I have heard it in several systems at shows and have always been impressed.

For more average budgets, I find that Vandersteen is very difficult to beat and have liked every speaker of his that I have heard, from the top of the line to the bottom.

-Aaron.

Attachments

• RMAF2010-325.gif
    RMAF2010-325.gif
    127.5 KB · Views: 966
  • 440632708TAD_R-1_FRONT_med.jpg
    440632708TAD_R-1_FRONT_med.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 966
Dear KatieandDad,

I already built the Orion + 3.3.1 and am very happy with them. I drive the speakers with UcD400 modules which are working perfect (my opinion). Mr. Linkwitz is obviously a classic fan and therefore the alignment of the speakers shows a decreasing sound pressure level from low frequencies to high frequencies. In the meanwhile I modified the ASP so, that i reduced the decratation of the tweeter and am now more satisfied, also compared with my Canton Reference 7.2.

Manfred

Katie and Dad,
You seem to have the memory of a Goldfish! :D
Linkwitz does not even recommend Class D amp's. I have already explained this to you before as have others.

Quote:Originally Posted by KatieandDad
Originally Posted by KatieandDad
"I was looking at the Linkwitz Orion until I saw the choice of amplifier used.

Class D just doesn't cook the biscuit with me. I would like a design where I can choose the ampflication"

Can DIY speakers approach ProAc, Focal, etc? Views: 3,018
Posted By rob g

Linkwitz Orion does not use any class D at all....

Linkwitz Orion does not use any class D at all. That speaker does not have the power amp's built in. Standard class AB amp's are recommended. Orion clones, typically found here are often paired with...

Exactly like that one Helmuth... and there are many other examples. I used to discount PA drivers too... now i see their strengths and find ways to utilize them at home. They may not be the most refined but they offer gobs of dynamic goodness once tamed. For me, they are worth the effort (and many options are much cheaper than hi end drivers that require complicated crossovers and associated equipment).

I was lucky to hear the JBL Everest D66000 and they're one of my top favorites.
And what's wrong with PA-speakers?

I think the other gentlemen are confusing studio monitors and PA speakers. They probably also do not understand that the JBL flagship models (eg, Everest, K2's etc) were designed and used for consumer audio and not for PA or studio use.

I suspect they have never actually heard these "other" JBL models or perhaps they once heard the JBL 100's and thought they were representative of the JBL product line. Clearly, they are passing opinions on something they have not actually heard.

Bang & Olufsen Pentas have the best bass & control out of everything I've heard including £20,000 speakers you can find in Harrods. It's the classic combination of huge well built cabinets, research and good quality long throw units (x4).

For accuracy I'd go with my Tannoy 636's with there dual drivers (concer thingy I forgot the name). The mid/highs are just amazing.

I'd chop my arm off for a pair of Tannoy 615's or 639's as these will have proper bass as well. I can only guess they are as perfect as one can get.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.