What's the best method to rip CD to HDD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: somthing doesn't add up

MJL21193 said:
I'd rather keep the full, uncompressed tracks. No questions about quality, accuracy and if I want to compress to use somewhere else I can.
Makes sense to me.

Again, as someone stated:
"It makes no difference, except WAV takes more space."

Everything that you said about wav is true for FLAC. Lossless is lossless. No questions about quality, accuracy and if I want to transcode to use somewhere else I can.

Because FLAC is lossless, you can:
a) decode back to wav anytime (and diff the files if you care)
b) transcode (decode stream into another encoder) to any other format lossy or lossless without issue.
c) decode, listen and be happy

I store everything as FLAC. I transcode to lowish bitrate MP3 for my portable in the car. (sound quality there isn't so good anyway ;)

I'm much more concerned about accuracy of rips of course, using EAC with accuraterip this is not so much of an issue anymore.

disk space is cheap, but not that cheap. Why waste 50% for no reason. (main drive, backup drive, portable drives...)

-CK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.