What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard?

Still think the Isophon/telefunken 8" alnico drivers would be hard to beat in an open baffle application. Coupled to their little paper cone tweeters they sound so natural and surprisingly extended on the bottom.
Heard some 8" Fostex with whizzers (can't remember the number) and I wasn't impressed one little bit. Very ragged top end.

Shoog

I hav enot heard an 8" yet that i would choose over any number of smaller drivers.

I've not heard any of the pricey ones thou. Ones i have played with include FE206s (included eSR), B200, TB W8s, Betsy, Omnes, Alpair 12 & 12p, various vintage 8s (some of the lesser know Corals are pretty decent). many of those tweked up.

I do have here B200s (this time not on an OB), FF225 & SEAS 8" (the cheap one) that i need to play with.

dave

Intresting.. a period of using lowthers in a Big fun horn drew me away from 4-5inch drivers... but the BFH had to go (the wife had enough) so I am looking at building something else that would be almost as satisfying.. I would happily return to smaller drivers as i find their speed and midrange hard to beat. Is it possible to get that warm BFH sound from smaller drivers.

Anybody else ever have or hear these cats?

I've got this beautiful little pair of EMI Model 62 (maybe a Scope EMI-62 - an elliptical driver 8" x 5" 2 way single tweeter above the woofer cone) - in gorgeous almost brand new looking "big bookshelf" walnut cabinets. I love the midrange but the highs are abit muted and the bass doesn't really thump (this may be 'cause I listene to them las on a Pioneer DV-37 CD/DVD player and an Onkyo TX-6500 MKII receiver) , but they really present nicely: warm, full, and real... Supposedly EMI made some drivers for KEF.

Future plan: I'll give them a try as an open baffle with better electronics.

Anybody else ever have or hear these cats? - info scarce as hen's teeth about these on the net; need to rely on verbal references from "The Trained Ears of Knowing Experienced Audio Experts", like yourself - you who is reading these threads ...

I find it very difficult to point to a direct winner - because every single driver I have heard has got their individual strengths and weaknesses. But there's a few that stands out after long term listening, and for me it is a tie between Altec 755A, Fostex FE208ES-R and Fertin 20EX. Another fav of mine is a modified (Whizzer removed) pair of Coral Beta8 used as "extended range from 200 - 2kHz; the speed and attack is just truly magic....

On this topic: Does anybody have anything good to say about the Pioneer PIM 6" or 8"?

This is one of the drivers "people" claim to be better than the 755A, usually when they are trying to sell them and/or they don't have or probably never heard 755As! :razz:

The speaker does look to be a vague copy of the Altec dual compliance cone scheme.

I've had other weird looking older Pioneer drivers and coaxes and they were often a lot better than I expected.

I'd snag a pair but obtaining cabinets is a problem for me.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Intresting.. a period of using lowthers in a Big fun horn drew me away from 4-5inch drivers... but the BFH had to go (the wife had enough) so I am looking at building something else that would be almost as satisfying.. I would happily return to smaller drivers as i find their speed and midrange hard to beat. Is it possible to get that warm BFH sound from smaller drivers.

A small driver will not be as dynamic or play as loud as a larger driver, but they have the edge on finesse thru the critical midrange, have highs and dispersion that the larger drivers can only dream of. Addition of helper woofers and a HP on the small driver can transform the dynamic capabilities to the small driver, and bring bass that larger FRs struggle with.

dave

Smaller drivers (3" to 6") almost always sound more detailed than larger drivers (8" to 12"). Every time I'm trying smaller drivers they sound better in AB comparison to the larger ones but listening for longer then a couple of days they all make me nervous. At first they sound more snappy, more detailed, airier etc etc and the larger drivers may sound a little dull but in the end I always prefer the larger ones. I have never ever heard a 3 to 6 " fullrange driver I could listen to for more then a week. I have heard quite some 8" drivers I can listen to for days and days, in the longer run they reveal more detail then the smaller drivers wich are all artificial sounding compared to the bigger ones. I'm a 24/7 music listener so to speek so these qualities are very important to me. All these small fullrange drivers in onken, bibs, tqwp, horns etc are a lot of fun but in the long run they are simply not my cup of tea. Been there, done it, got the T-shirt. Toys for the boys but that's about it. Still enjoy my veravox 5s reflex cabs in the kitchen and the bedroom though but that's where they belong, not in the living room, mind you.

Back on topic. Best 8" fullrange I have heard was a AER in a BD design front loaded horn. The only 8" fullrange I have heard that's got the highs correct. Difficult beast on room and amplifier matching but worth the trouble. For the rest I'm allways ending up using a fullrange driver as an extended midrange driver wich in fact makes the whole system a three way system. That's what I'm listening to for years now.

Put 4 of these in a focused array and fogget-about-it.

31Bn3GFKNL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is the best full range driver that I have heard.

Would like go hear one of those. Guess they will have a lot in common with the various PA line arrays that I'm using as a sound engineer. They all have the tendency to sound like big headphones and distract from the live performance. Impressive at first but unnatural in the long run.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Smaller drivers (3" to 6") almost always sound more detailed than larger drivers (8" to 12"). Every time I'm trying smaller drivers they sound better in AB comparison to the larger ones but listening for longer then a couple of days they all make me nervous. At first they sound more snappy, more detailed, airier etc etc and the larger drivers may sound a little dull but in the end I always prefer the larger ones. I have never ever heard a 3 to 6 " fullrange driver I could listen to for more then a week. I have heard quite some 8" drivers I can listen to for days and days, in the longer run they reveal more detail then the smaller drivers wich are all artificial sounding compared to the bigger ones. I'm a 24/7 music listener so to speek so these qualities are very important to me. All these small fullrange drivers in onken, bibs, tqwp, horns etc are a lot of fun but in the long run they are simply not my cup of tea. Been there, done it, got the T-shirt. Toys for the boys but that's about it. Still enjoy my veravox 5s reflex cabs in the kitchen and the bedroom though but that's where they belong, not in the living room, mind you.

Back on topic. Best 8" fullrange I have heard was a AER in a BD design front loaded horn. The only 8" fullrange I have heard that's got the highs correct. Difficult beast on room and amplifier matching but worth the trouble. For the rest I'm allways ending up using a fullrange driver as an extended midrange driver wich in fact makes the whole system a three way system. That's what I'm listening to for years now.
hi
what are the drivers youv heard in the 3inch to 6 inch selection. and please tell me what are the ones youve heard in the 6 inch and bigger and maybe your top three?

Would like go hear one of those. Guess they will have a lot in common with the various PA line arrays that I'm using as a sound engineer. They all have the tendency to sound like big headphones and distract from the live performance. Impressive at first but unnatural in the long run.

No, they sound like a point source.
There is no comb filtering due to the fact that they are time aligned with your ears at a certain distance.
The drawback to these are a small sweet spot (in regards to distance and vertical, not horizontal)
The arrays used in PA applications are straight or j shaped.

Have heard some fostex and tang band, but my favorite is an auido nirvana super 8 alnico. Fairly new to this hobby, but has anyone here have owned a pair of audio nirvana 8 alnico? I find this drivers smooth but detailed and plenty of LF and HF and fast. Poormans lowther for me. :)