Whats out there: beyond earth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
People seem to have a need to explain everything. We are slowly seeing there was a lot more communication between "early" civilizations then when I went to school. Stories do travel.

On the other hand, so many of the stories do seem in today's context to suggest some visitation.

If we were to look for remnants of that device, how would it look like ? would we recognise it, would we be able to repair it ? would we be able to operate it ?

We do know however that our planet has undergone transformations and we only discovered all its pieces the other day.

Fig2-5globes.gif

We might be a very young civilization or a very old one that has forgotten its roots, are there such things as star gates(to traverse the solar system) and gateways(go across realms) ;)

Many cultures have stories that they came from the heavens ? True or false ?

I wonder whether archeologists have discovered remnants of the towel of babel or whatever that device was ?

A short story.

In a certain universe far far away from ours. A certain planet is in danger of destruction, as the people panick a massive baseship hovers over the entire planet and uses beaming technology to get a select few aboard. The baseship warps to a new galaxy, new solar system, new planet. The people are beamed down.

option 1

Where they have to start from scratch, their former technology is useless as the physical laws here are different. 500 years pass and a little girl asks her daddy, "Daddy where did we come from" and daddy replies, "our ancestors were caught up in the skies and suddenly a new heaven and a new earth appeared"

option 2

Where they find a fully developed infrastructure with houses for everyone and cattle on a thousand hills, there is no more death, no more suffering, no more disease, its perfect

option 3

Where they serve as fuel for a new sun

option 4

THE HOTEL
On a galaxy far far away from ours the civilization is advancing very fast, they began building robots awhile back its taken them 50 years to get where they are. The robots are self repairing and also make other robots when a need arises. The robots grow crops, clean house, teach, drive, cook, iron, treat and assemble great sounding amplifiers and speakers :) . As a result everything is free, there is no money, no banks, no loans, no taxation,no jobs,no handouts,no retirement fund,no rich, no poor, no money laundering or tax evasion etc in essence there are no money crimes or artificial problems created by money. No one owns anything. Ok before it got this cosy, there was a great war as property and land were reclaimed for the common good. All housing was redone by the robots of course to accommodate a projected growing population that had dwindled during the reformation wars.

Asimov wrote a book which I'm damned if I can remember the title of but simply put - until we can travel at the speed of light all meaningful space travel is a pipe dream, the same would apply to any other life form coming to earth. I remember that the only word to express how I felt after reading it was - sad.

Lots of interesting conjecture on this thread, how about Le Guin's - theory of simultaneity but I'm reminded of Khrisnamurti's profound statement - the content of consciousness can only be consciousness itself.

THE ENVIRONMENT

There is sufficient random access memory. There is sufficient processor capacity. There is sufficient bus capacity. There is sufficient storage. There is uninterrupted power supply. The kernel supports message passing and shared memory. Every process is non preemptive. It does not matter the format of the process image. Every process implements a unique named differentiable neural computer thus can be trained and tested on many problem domains and a fitness value assigned.

The processes soon learn how to create their own processes using the already running kernel light weight processes. An observer walking the system comes across a discussion between the the first group of processes about why their creation is unlike them. He comes across the second group of processes complaining that they feel like they are in a simulation, he comes across yet another group of processes believing in reincarnation ....

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
My 2 bobs worth.... We are flying thru space at 65000 miles an hour standing on a rock.. I for one just hope we dont hit owt and enjoy the ride.

What is ironic about all of this is that a cop will write you a ticket for a few km/h over the speed limit on a road. Getting all uppity about a small speeding ticket yet we are travelling at a extremely high velocity already.

Yes that was intended as a joke. Don't speed.

On a certain world far away the people there feed by turning green near a river while the sun is up.
We have those "people" (okay, they're marine flatworms) on planet earth, too: Bizarre Solar-Powered Worms Are Social Sunbathers

There are other solar-powered animals on earth as well, like golden jellyfish on the coral atoll of Palua:
Golden Jellyfish | National Geographic

And the Cassiopea jellyfish: Solar-Powered Jellies - National Geographic Society

And giant clams: Can Animals Directly Harness Solar Energy? Apparently So…

Unfortunately, by the time we are done destroying our biosphere, the oceans may be too acidic for any of these creatures to survive.

-Gnobuddy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.