• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What vintage tube books do you own?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alfred A. Ghirardi's "Radio Physics Course," 1930, 1931, 1932. Something of a standard way of analyzing tube circuits emerged fairly early and most texts adopted that perspective, but this book seems to predate that. In truth, 1930 was not all that early in the game, but it seems like a very early book none the less. It's an interesting text and is not too hard to find in the US.

It is a great book, and one that will appear on my list for the trading post this weekend.:)

John

Amateur Radio Theory Course by Martin Schwartz. Ameco publishing corporation.

This book and others were published for Ham operators. They compete with the ARRL, but I think they are much easier to read and understand. Definitely written in a very clear style for easy understanding. I think these are the best books for a beginner trying to teach himself enough about circuits and components to start tweaking and modifiying. They also made highly valued Ham gear which is found on Ebay from time to time.
Jerry g

For those who read German language:

Heinrich Schröder - Elektrische Nachrichtentechnik. Bd. (Vol.) 1 & 2., 1963 / 1969. I find Bd. 2 an excellent textbook on tube theory. Still available 2nd. hand at low prices

Heinrich Barkhausen - Lehrbuch der Elektronen-Röhren, Bd. 1. Allgemeine Grundlagen, Bd. 2. Verstärker. (bd. 3 & 4 I don’t have). The German tube „bible“ but I haven’t read it yet.

Telefunken Laborbuch Bd. 1 .. Bd. 4 - Collection of short articles from other publications. Some other more obscure texts that I won't have the time to read.

Well, here is a tube book I am trying to figure out what it was called. My father had a 1930's or 40's radio text book that was about 3 inches thick, approx. 6 inch by 8.5 inch size. It was greenish or biege cloth covered, and had maybe 3.5 inch/ 3 inch concentric circles on the cover with the title and author written inside them. I recall it having the old zig-zag grid symbols in the diagrams within. Anyone know what book this was?

I thought maybe the Ghirardi book might be it since it is very thick too, but they all seem to be red or maroon and are larger at 7 3/4 by 9 3/4 inches.

Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.