What type of amp set-up for single 2-way speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Get some resistors and sum the input.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hey guys, bumping this because I need some help. Finally got around to getting the resistors. I attached a 470 to the L & R, combined those, and then then added a 20k to the combined resistors. This leaves me with 2 leads; the 20k and the ground. As I'm not too versed on deciphering electronic schematics, it looks like the 20k should be soldered to the ground wire. Am I reading this wrong? Common sense would tell me that the 2 leads, are my completed circuits and nothing further should be done.

At my wits end with this and assumed I would be done after I soldered everything. Also, is there an easier way to solder the bare leads to the resistors? I managed to get them connected thanks to the soldering helper, holder device, buy I still added electrical tape as the connection, though soldered correctly, seemed quite fragile.

And still one more caveat. Radio Shack only had resistors which were 5%, 10% and 20%. The diagram stated I needed 1%. Opted for the 5% as this was the closest. Will I encounter any issues with this?

Last edited:
Just measure the resistor and see how far out of tolerance it is. What is more important is that for each of these you make the resistors are the same value between the two. This ensures proper level matching between channels.

The resistor readings are fine; thats not the problem. Im just wondering if im reading the schematic correctly. Should the 20k resistor be connected to the ground wire in any way? The bottom lead on the diagram, which I assume is the ground, appears to connect to the 20k resistor also.

One end is connected to ground eg the shield. The other end of that same resistor is connected to one end of both 470Ω resistors. This junction where all three resistors are soldered together is connected to the output. One of 470's is connected to "right channel" and the other is connected to the "left channel" inputs. Matters not which is which.

One end is connected to ground eg the shield. The other end of that same resistor is connected to one end of both 470Ω resistors. This junction where all three resistors are soldered together is connected to the output. One of 470's is connected to "right channel" and the other is connected to the "left channel" inputs. Matters not which is which.

I take it you're referring to the 20k resistor in your first two sentences. If the ground is now connected to the same 20k resistor as the other leads, (which are connected to their own 470's) doesn't this leave me with only one lead? Do I just run a ground from the junction which would leave me with a signal input and ground input.

Once again, sorry for the back and forth. Thi seemed much more simple on paper.

But of course I'm refering to the 20k resistor. The outer part of the connectors are always ground in an unbalanced input (as yours are).
No other resistors are connected to ground. Those other connections are left and right channel inputs. This output is summed into one single connection that connects to the sub amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.