What type AC coupling capcitors do you use for input and output stage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I understand your question.The best is any film and foil-teflon first, then polystyrene, then polypropolene. I would avoid mylar or any electrolytice unless absolutely necessary. What values do you need? What size can they be? You really need to specify those two parameters before the question can be fully answered. Regards

Mylar is polyester yes.

I don't know how Teflon or polystyrene are very useful for coupling, they are barely available and in tiny values. For normal solid state equipment input Z the best you will find is probably metalized polypropylene (easily available up to <100 uF). Failing that, try a very large value bi-polar electrolytic like Nichicon Muse ES or Panasonic SU.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi in the past years I ranked the various film caps as follows:

1. Polystyrene (KS) and/or Teflon
2. Polypropylene (MKP/FKP/KP)
3. Polycarbonate (MKC)
4. Polyphenyl Sulphide (PPS)
5. Polyester/Mylar (MKT/MKS)

Katieanddad: Polystyrene is not MKS ! It is KS. MKS is polyester. I think most abbreviations come from Wima and other long established brands.

Positions 3 and 4 might be interchangeable varying from brand and series. MKC is very rare nowadays as they are not being made for a long time. Please mind that some manufacturers make very good polyester caps that outperform polypropylene caps of other manufacturers (sound wise). Same counts for BG NX Hi-Q that outperform MKP caps while they are bipolar electrolytic caps !

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Like all cap comparison threads, this would be useful discussion if we knew what device the OP was referring to. Since this is the solid state amplifier forum, we might assume the input cap will be ~1uF and the output will be >1,000 uF. Many of the preferences discussed here will thus be irrelevant since it will mean electrolytics at the output in practical applications.

If you want to see endless rounds of learned and not so learned discussion and read papers about small signal audio capacitors, you can wade through John Curl's endless "blowtorch" thread in the "analog line level" forum. There other interesting threads there too :xeye:

I've got sick of trying different capacitors, so I've gone to transformer coupling. My balanced DIY jfet RIAA stage takes the output from the drains of the LTP fets in the last stage. I now use a Lundahl LL1527XL across the output, it is much more transparent than any cap I've tried. Of course, this is easy with a balanced output as there's no DC through the tranny, single ended operation may be more difficult.

I always thought the sole purpose of SS audio was to avoid coupling caps :D

You'd get a chuckle out of the analog HD video processing I did for a flying spot scanner about 10 years ago. In the RGB video channels there is 1 in line capacitor in each channel and its actual purpose is sample and hold. All told over 200 opamps and multipliers direct coupled.

While analog audio would be difficult to get that low a capacitor count, I can envision numbers in the single digits without much difficulty. If caps sound bad, don't use them - or perhaps they're not as bad as we think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.