What tweeter above a Feastrex as mid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
brucemk2: I put the 1uF Auriecap capacitor inline on the (+ve) of the Raven tweeter. It helps also if you use a separate amp for the tweeter and adjust the volume level to suit the Feastrex/Lowther.

A single high quality capacitor on a supertweeter is a common approach, even among the professional units from Tannoy and Townsend.

I also have fun doing all of this with a DBX Driverack PA.

Regards,

Steve.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
panomaniac said:
Because amps fail..... ;)

The cap after the amp ain't wonderful, but it's better than a dead tweeter, especially an expensive one.

But ribbons are cheap... and easy to replace. I was thinking a special purpose tube amp, take a fair bit to shunt the rail thru a dead trafo. Or one could use the Raal specifically made to connect to the anodes of the output stage...

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
cdwitmer said:
Not ever actually having done this myself, perhaps it's easier said than done, but in the case of a tube amp, shouldn't a conservative periodic maintenance schedule be capable of preventing the sort of amplifier problems that can destroy a tweeter?

-- Chris

In a tube amplifier in good condition with a transformer coupled output stage, the output transformer would have to have a short from the primamry to the secondary to hurt the tweeter, and in the case of a ribbon tweeter you would blow the cheap ribbon before harming its transformer.

dave

Would there be a compelling argument, either pro or con, about doing the midrange and tweeter on a relatively narrow open baffle rather than in a closed box?

For size reasons, and because the DEQX crossover does not easily handle open baffle bass crossovers/eq, I need the woofer unit covering down below 200hz (maybe 150hz) in a box (likely with a pair of 10" or a pair of 12" AE drivers.)

For the midrange and tweeter however I can pretty easily accommodate a narrow open baffle, say 8" or 10", maybe up to 12" or so wide.

Not overly worried that a box below can't mate well with an open baffle above, because I've heard it work in the past with Infinity, ESL, and Martin Logan units ... so this is more a question of "will a relatively narrow open baffle upper unit outperform (sonics, efficiency, etc.) a closed box upper unit?"

Hi brucemck2,

Why do you say there is a problem with the DEQX crossover on an open-baffle?

I use one on an OB. I take the mid/tweeter at about 2 metres, (on or off axis according to the toe-in) as a biamp, and then the woofer at the seating position as a subwoofer, with the DEQX time aligning, and correcting the step response.

I presume you do it this way?

David

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
cdwitmer said:
I'm hardly an authority on such matters, but I think you should try to choose a supertweeter that is a point source rather than a line source. A ribbon tweeter would be a line source and the SPL will fall off 3dB with every doubling of distance. The point source Feastrex drivers will be falling off 6dB with every doubling of distance.

-- Chris

A quick note as this is incorrect.

This is only true whilst the cylindrical(as opposed to spherical) wavefront is formed. Since even a larger tweeter such as the RAAL, AC or Fountek are only around 15cm in length then the line source effect quickly disappears and certainly never reaches the listening position in any useful form.

So consider a ribbon tweeter adherent to -6dB per doubling of distance unless you sit 30cm away from your speakers :D

D OB G said:
Hi brucemck2,

Why do you say there is a problem with the DEQX crossover on an open-baffle?

I use one on an OB. I take the mid/tweeter at about 2 metres, (on or off axis according to the toe-in) as a biamp, and then the woofer at the seating position as a subwoofer, with the DEQX time aligning, and correcting the step response.

I presume you do it this way?

David

I've not had good luck using the DEQX this way. IME it does a great job with my midranges and tweeters and not so great a job with the subs ... on both time alignment and PEQ. Maybe it's the room or the way it does the gating, not sure. So I use a QSC DSP30 to do the PEQ on the subs outside the DEQX, and use Room EQ Wizzard and ETF to do the measurements pre and post.

I am fairly space constrained horizontally because I use these speakers in a theater, where they have to be to the left and right of the screen by enough to not overly reflect the projector. Hence my interest in a fairly narrow upper baffle.

My thinking right now is that I'd build this new speaker in two enclosures, one for the subs and the other for the mids/tweets so that if/when I want to change out the upper units I can keep the lower units. This also makes me more likely to use a sealed lower unit.

D OB G said:
You can go to Profile/Filters/Step response and delay either the biamp or the woofer to get an optimum time alignment, if it isn't already, or is it the freq response you are having trouble with?

I do measurement outside the DEQX, time alignment using the DEQX delay functionality (but not based on its measurement functionality), and PEQ in the QSC.

Reason for the QSC is that (1) the time alignment automated measurement does not work well in my room, and, (2) my subs are not colocated with the speakers, are somewhat asymmetric in the room, and hence the DEQX struggles with getting independent PEQs that "sum" to a coherent whole.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.