What To Do With Those 2SJ28's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm torn between "The Soundhappy" and this Hungarian amp.
post-10590-0-58261500-1462953677.jpg

He says he runs it at 40-45V and 1.2-1.5A. I've got the 2SK79s, 2SK60s and 2SJ49s sitting here...

Hello PSz. The output stage schematic for the Hungarian amp is a DEF. Its upper FET is a depletion N-channel SIT [2SK82], and its lower FET is an enhancement P-channel MOSFET [2SJ49]. The front-end N-channel depletion FET [LED in series with its source] has two jobs. Its drain current allows for biasing the DEF. It also [simultaneously] amplifies the input signal since it operates in the common source configuration. Its amplification is desired because DEF has a voltage gain of 1.

Which post# has the Soundhappy schematic? Thanks.

Hungarian amp is a DEF
Hi Antoinel, yup I saw that. Thought I was missing something since the k79 is happier at higher voltages and this amp would be running it ~20V.

Which post# has the Soundhappy schematic?
http://blog.audiomaker.tech/pdf/soundhappy.pdf

As for "Soundhappy", shall we start with CCS or lightbulb?
I suspect a CCS version would lead to multiple power supplies in order to keep the K79 happy. So, let's go with the lightbulb for now.

Just guessing at ~50K-100K for the input R, 10K-20K on the Drain of the K79 and 500R-2K on the source.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Before we move on to "Soundhappy" I'll comment on the amp from Hungary. When I say the voltage is low, I'm (not intentionally) speaking shorthand. We can make the 2SK79 work adequately at lower voltage, but this being a SIT we have to be thinking about Vds and Vgs. With 22V across the part and the gate sitting at -2-3V as drawn the SIT is effectively off. At 120V B+, different story.

The information given is that we want to operate this as a power amp (not a preamp) at 45V @ 1.5A or something like that. If we replace that LED with a 100 ohm resistor or maybe a little diode like a 1N4148, now we get some current through the SIT. Give it a drain load of say 5-10k and make that pot around 50k and I think you start to have something more workable. :)

BTW, this is all "back of the napkin". Don't hold me to those exact values. :)

Last edited:
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Also, before we get to "Soundhappy". If you're interested in a CCS version of "Soundhappy" that's doable, but it's not a big leap from there to a 2SK79 driving a PP lateral follower, such as the ALFETs, which IMO, is a more interesting prospect than a CCS version.

The original idea (and attraction) behind "Sounhappy" was a request by it's namesake. It's a super-simple fleawatt, all Sony SIT SE amp. What could be more "Soundhappy"? :)

So, on we go...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.