What to do with these cabinets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To fasteddy:

In a way you're right, in another way you're wrong..

Quality-wise a passive line level crossover (pllxo) delivers excellent results (actually better than an in-box crossover, because components that have to handle the power of the output of your amp will have to run much more on the edge of their specs..);)

" ... pllxo ..." Looks like a promising new buzz word.

V-Bro: Got any links to other "line level", "in line", passive or active crossover technics? I would be looking to bi-amp and/or tri-amp my system so as to reduce these "in the box" inefficiencies.

Looks like something that might be built into a sophisticated pre-amp ... which is my next project.
:smash:

Yes sure:
This one shows the raw basics of R-C filtering, works like a charm, but suffers from a few db's insertion loss....
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html

The Marchand xm-46 has very good specs, less insertion loss as it works with R-L-C technique. The one I copied with home made coils pretty much keeps the output-level same as the input-level.

Here's some photo's of my first project:
These are two stereo attenuators with on/off switcheable R-C first order filters. One has a low-pass and the other a high-pass filter.
They're stuck together with some duct-tape....

Attachments

• preamps.jpg
    preamps.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 88
The system with the 4-channel preamp+filters on the left, the 4-channel class T amp in the middle (there's another same amp board as is fitted in this box shown on the right) and the SLA 12V-12A battery on the right behind the other amp board...

Attachments

• audiogear 378.jpg
    audiogear 378.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 79
I can post better pictures (more detailed) of the parts soon (have to borrow a camera from a friend...).

And can advise anyone who's interested a simple design of an R-C filter that can be soldered directly on a 4-way change-over switch to switch it on/off. This way you can turn it off making the preamp merely an attenuator.

Any freq. can be filtered really cheap and easy with only few little components...

Use preferably MKP type (or similar quality) caps and metal-film resistors...

Next thing I want to try in order to keep levels up is this:
http://www.autocostruire.com/catalo...d=304&osCsid=ddafb5f1fe1f6794db20a105430d689d

I will keep them separated from my attenuator/filter-boxes though, love to keep things exchangeable....

This device has a potentiometer that can make the sound go from "bass-heavy" to "ultra clear", I've read this helps a lot to adapt the system to your room/preference..and once the right level is found you won't change the level again..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.