• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What to do with C3g tubes

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
And as (almost) always, someone has done it, see: ....

but may not autiomaticly mean its good :confused:

anyway, I happen to have that schematic, although with the C3g, but avoided it because of the reasons mentioned ... but maybe it is ok :scratch2:

I wonder if its the same way with chokes and pentodes ?

Attachments

• C3g ccs load.jpg
    C3g ccs load.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,487
but may not autiomaticly mean its good

No thats right, but it was meant as an idea for further experiments. When you use a pentode , triode connected it behaves as one (well, almost), Rp would be more like that of a triode, and then could be threated as one, and the use of a ccs should be possible, technically. If it would sound good and perform well, is another question.

I wonder if its the same way with chokes and pentodes ?

Choke loading a pentode could be a good idea, as it self act as a ccs, ccs loading would be a conflict, but using an inductor would be a possible way to do it. But because the internal resistance, in pentode mode, is rather high, the inductance needed would be of a large value.
In triode mode, a lower value should be needed.

Would be an interesting experiment, though.

Last edited:
I played around a little
this is the test schematic

supply 300v
CCS 17mA

C3g_ccs.jpg

I connected a 10k resistor as load

this is a 10kHz sinus triangle and square wave, the only difference you can see is on the triangle, the output is a little rounded on the top on that one

1v in 50v out on the sinus wave

I have adjusted the oscilloscope to match the waves so ignore the amplitude on the scope.

input signal is at the bottom on all three waves

The next thing to do is to measure distortion, this is just a visual exploration with a signal generator

IMG2931pGz.jpg

I tried Led bias with a red led now and it looks promising, glows red and fancy

And my distortion meter seems to measure a bit higher distortion than I expected from C3g, its around 1% dist at 50v output.

But It might be my ferrograph rts2 wanking out

How does one measure distortion easy today? with a soundcard perhaps?

Hmmm

So I connected and measured a couple of times, hauled up my HP 332A dist meter to have as a reference to my ferrograph and after a tune up they measure almost the same, about 0,4% dist @ 300v B+ 1Khz 1v input and with 240 Ohm CR

I found a pink led that measured 3,05v but the distortion rose to 0,5% with the pink led bias

CCS @ 17mA on both

I will measure a CCa and a D3a just to have something to refer to

Joined 2004
Paid Member
0.1-0.5% THD estimation based on (about) three dozen -used- C3g measuring.

The best specimens I used in the C3g phono (C3g, 18mA CCS anode load, green LED bias, passive RIAA, C3g, 18mA CCS anode load, green LED bias, D3a cathode follower -9mA CCS as cathode load-).

C3g, C3g, D3a phono at 30mV input:

Attachments

• C3g, C3g, D3a phono spectrum.jpg
    C3g, C3g, D3a phono spectrum.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,043
Last edited: