What to build in a Dynaco A-10 Cabinet?

Hi All
Recently came across a pair of Dynaco A-10's. Brought them home for a listen and found them to be decent, if uninspiring. Did a little reading and found that Morel made a tweeter (forget the number now) which is a direct drop in for it. Then I started wondering about replacing the woofer too. Just a 6.5 inch woofer.
Anyone ever built anything into these cabinets? Nice simple classic cabinets. I can do speaker building, but I have no where to build cabinets. Any thoughts?
Erik

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bigerik said:
Recently came across a pair of Dynaco A-10's. Brought them home for a listen and found them to be decent, if uninspiring. Did a little reading and found that Morel made a tweeter (forget the number now) which is a direct drop in for it. Then I started wondering about replacing the woofer too. Just a 6.5 inch woofer.
Anyone ever built anything into these cabinets? Nice simple classic cabinets. I can do speaker building, but I have no where to build cabinets. Any thoughts?

Besides tweaking things -- that metal grill coming off the tweeter makes a big difference, replaceing the caps in the XO, tweaking the woofer, and routing off the big lip on the baffle -- all the alnico drivers & XO are worth something on eBay (one of my workbenchs is made of A25 carcasses, and the stand under one of my wife's shelves is made from A10s.

If i was rebuilding, i'd probably be thinking of putting the drivers in a new box & turfing the older box instead of the other way around.

dave

So Dave,
Sorry for the thread-jack here but you have piqued my interest.

I have a pair of A-25s in the basement. Any recommendations on what sort of box would suit those drivers?

Thank you for your patience, we now return to the discussion on A-10's.

/Dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mercator said:
I have a pair of A-25s in the basement. Any recommendations on what sort of box would suit those drivers?

All the same mods work... figuring out what tweeter level works best & replacing the switch, cheap sand resistors & eleco cap would be the XO mod.

The same box, but done up in ply, braced with no sharp edges would be a 1st round... actually measuring the T/S and seeing if a T-Line would work would be 2nd.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/classics/dynaco.html

dave

Dynaco / Scanspeak ? A10's ?

Hi folks,

I just bought a pair of Dynaco A10's That are in pristine condition, and the sound fantastic? I notice they are mirror imaged tweeters never saw a pair like these......I am guess ing thes are very early models with Scanspeak drivers?

Does anyone know more about these? I have looked around the web, but can find no info, I am interested in the crossover design details.

Thanks!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I haven't made a map yet...

dave

Attachments

• a10-xo.jpg
    a10-xo.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 661
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bananatuan said:
How is the progress ?
I really need schematic of Dynaco 35A's crossover.

That is what you call syncronycity... i just posted the A50 XO last night -- the A35 (and A25) XO is simply the tweeter part of the XO -- althou i strongly suspect that A25.A35 could be improved by adding the woofer low pass.

From My Dynaco Page

dyna-A50-XO-map.gif

And i did a set of impedance measures for the effect of the tweeter levels (attached)

dave

BTW... the XO i traced this from will be amongst my eBay auctions late this week.

dyna-A50-XO.jpg

Attachments

• dynaa50-xo-t-levels-imp.gif
    dynaa50-xo-t-levels-imp.gif
    16 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Noted your infor with many thanks !

I ' ve bought a pair of DYNACO speaker.
At the behind side of speaker , I saw that a mark : Scandyna A30. As u know, Dynaco A25 has got Aperiodic Port uder the woofer but in my speaker Aperiodic Port above the Tweeter.
Beside. I found these sentence in one website:

Dynaco speakers were designed using Seas drivers, and imported to the USA under the Dynaco name. Interestingly the earliest A-25's used ScanSpeak Drivers and had the Aperiodic Port above the Tweeter, but this was soon changed to the widely seen Seas Drivers and the port under the woofer.

When I look at front of speaker , It is similar to Dynaco A35 and furthermore it has Aperiodic Port above the Tweeter.

I wonder what is it model of Dynaco ???

Please advise your comment !!!

Best regard .

Dear My King :D

I read this on this site :

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/speakers/

Please enjoit it !

Repeat again ! Face of my speaker very very similar to Dynaco A35 . But it has a piece of compressed fiberglass insultaion covering a slotted port. (as u writing in your site), above tweeter.
Beside, I saw on a mark SENSITIVE : 92 dB ??? Do you belive that ???
I used Dynaco A25 in the past. And I think my new speaker (A30) and A25 are the same sound.

Hope to receive your reply soon !!!
Yours truly,
TUAN.

Ahhhh C'mon.. I have a pair of A25's.. they worked well with the Dyna Tube amps.. The Speakers' Shrill top end worked well with the Amps product as it did with the Amp's Farty bottom end.
Together the sumof the failings produced decent Sounds.
But to Recycle the Boxes?..
WHY??
20 mins on a table saw will produce a more rigid/suitable enclosure.. assuming yr not using Cheap Particle Board Like Dyna did.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bare said:
Ahhhh C'mon.. I have a pair of A25's.. they worked well with the Dyna Tube amps.. The Speakers' Shrill top end...
But to Recycle the Boxes?..
WHY??
20 mins on a table saw will produce a more rigid/suitable enclosure.. assuming yr not using Cheap Particle Board Like Dyna did.

I always found the A25s top to be very soft. Taking the metal cover off the tweeter really helps. The boxes are no great shakes (one of the reason i put the plans up -- too encourage people to build better boxes). The boxes burn pretty good, and my packing bench is built out of 6 A25 carcasses.

If anyone is interested i have the measured parameters of a set of A25 woofers, and the impedance curve of a set of tweeters up.

Tweeters

Woofers

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bananatuan said:
Oh my King :) :cool: :D

I get the feeling you are confusing me with Martin King....

Do you read above site about Dynaco Speaker ???

I had actually found and read that page before.... didn't reread it this time... busy getting ready for a road trip.

I'll post photo of Scandyna A30 if possible.

please do

dave

planet10 said:

I get the feeling you are confusing me with Martin King....

dave

Good day to you !!!

I was very sorry to learn that you feel in a particular way about my confusing. I regret what I said :(
So sorry to bother you , Mr Dave ! When you said to someone
" You are my king " that means funny in my country. Honestly, I really want to crack a jocke.
I' ll take a photo of my speaker as soon as possible.
Yours sincerely, Banana Tuan.