What The Bleep Do We Know?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"What The Bleep Do We Know?"

I was watching this film last night which deals with quantum mechanics and reality.

I was left with the thought that no one participating in the film had the slightest clue.

The film offers as fact that physical reality is not real at all and that it is a manifestation of our thoughts. The film implies that if we, the observers and creators of the physical world, were to disappear that the physical world would also disappear. Thus, physical reality is an illusion.

The film covers a little more ground than what I described but that is the basis of it.

All this suggests that when I leave my workshop, the contents cease to exist until I return. If true, I feel that I shouldn't have to pay rent for the time I'm not actually using it.

Personally, I don't believe this nonsense but the film implies that I am not capable of making a judgement in this area.

Has anyone else seen this film and what do you have to say about it or its propositions?

:D

This quote from douglas adams springs to mind

'The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be'.

skewed indeed. :xeye:

Bill, maybe you can make a case with your landlord based on this "documentary" :D

Or maybe it's like The Matrix... if you think just right, when you get back, your shop will be full of hi-fi kit, playing sweet music.

I've heard about political / religious beliefs leading to biased reporting, but that takes the cake!

LOL Bill your problem is that you are not *doing* it right! :D

Cripes! There is not try or try not, etc! Get it right! What a bunch of morons we all have been for not realizing that we can affect external reality this way! Now, to think up some sports cars in my garage when I get home.

Its pretty amazing that more cars do not sponaneously explode considering how some drivers think that they work.

does that also mean i can say i have the star of india on ebay, and just put a lump of coal in the package when i sell it.

the person recieving it will expect the star of india and tada!!!

neutron7 said:
Its pretty amazing that more cars do not sponaneously explode considering how some drivers think that they work.

does that also mean i can say i have the star of india on ebay, and just put a lump of coal in the package when i sell it.

the person recieving it will expect the star of india and tada!!!

Just make sure you call it a "kit."

"Star of India kit. All you supply is pressure! No returns."

Considering quantemmechanics - as far as I understand it - reality is only a matter of statistics in the end. Those non statistical events are in a range not peceivable. So - in the end the perceived reality - as perceived through our senses - is fairly consistent. But - no promises.

I would not consider every religious person to belong to the right wing. There are some who still believe in responsibility of the individual towards the good of society. And then there are highflying gangsters that ran enron, world com etc, and helped funding...we know whom.

And yes - I think there were some examples - if I remember correctly, graham green converted to catholocism.

Usually that happens towards the end of ones lifetime- taking out insurance for the unknown.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.