• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

What style Hifi Kits would people like to see?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I'm trying to do a bit of market research to find out what DIY Speaker kits people would find most appealing?
We are in the process of launching a new website offering a wide range of Hifi and PA kits in various stages of completion and would like to know what peoples preferences are.

I would like to try and find out what sort of kits people would like to see?
What sort of arrangements do you think are most popular?

Standard 2way Free standing "bookshelf" / floor standing
MTM 2 way Free standing "bookshelf" / floor standing
BMT 3 way Free standing "bookshelf "/ floor standing
Compact satellite + Sub in 5.1 & 7.1

What do you think would be the most popular "exotic" loadings
Rear horns
Transmission lines
Passive radiators
Horn/waveguide systems.

I imagine that most people would opt for the more traditional layouts and loadings as they are more easily understood and modeled for different driver
combinations (and guaranteed even if designed around a specific driver people will shoe horn in others).

Have you built any kits currently on the market?
If so what did you like and what didn't you like about the kits?
Did you find any issues with construction?
Did it come with instructions?

Anyway looking forward to your comments and ideas.:)

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

The reason we decided to look at producing diy kits is because we were getting greater demand
From diy customers looking for people to cnc thier own and open source designs.
We cater for both bespoke 1 off production for diyers and large production runs to oems.

We have two 3 axis cnc machines one of which is also setup with mist cooler for non ferous metals and carbon fibre.
We have recently built a new 3.5m x 2.4 m spray booth with adjacent drying room so can offer custom finishes as well.

Unlike many just cnc or joinery firms we have been designing high quality speaker for over a decade and understand both the acoustic and mechanical issues.

Well there you have it in the bag .. rather than trying to find out what speakers people may want .. Why not offer the CNC as a service in its own right. That way as long as the item is to customers pre defined specification Every one will be happy!! maybe..

Lets all see what speakers you have designed in the past . You never know you might sell a few more.. The name of the company would be good too.

Last edited:
If I were in the market for a speaker kit I'd want one designed to sit with its back directly on the back wall. Nothing free standing at all regardless of size.

Practically everybody I know has their speakers positioned that way, myself included.
Many speakers are designed to be used free standing leading to horribly bloated bass.

Cnc Cabinet Production

Hi All,

Our Company name is Secrets of Sound and our new website address is
www.speaker-cabinets.co.uk (You will have to excuse the site at the moment it is currently in early stages of design and population).

Were a small operation that has been running and building cabinets since 2001 and vat registered since 2008. Our main trade is predominantly high quality "boutique" pa systems, but we have been involved in the design and production of most flavours of speaker cabinet including volume production runs of cabinets for high end OEM clients from both the PA and Studio Monitor markets.

Unfortuanely one of my/our major failings is that neither me or my business partner are competent (or enthusiastic) photographers so half the cabs that go out the door never get a photo at all. I occassionally remember to take the odd phone snap of which i'll stick up a few.

Consider that...one of the myths round here is the M1 by Daniel Hertz
And those metal parts with grills make me think of the crossover on the rear,
same as the M1.
Btw I remember the crossover itself was presented as mounted in a special way to
eliminate microphonic induced noise ...

Last edited:
Hi Planet 10,

Cheers for clearing the image issue up.
I much prefer working with birch ply but unfortunately we do have to do alot
Of work in mdf as well :-/

I read your frugal horn thread a while ago and I must say its a really nice simple design
That by all accounts works very well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.