• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What Speakers Do Tube Lovers Used?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Odds & Soda

For the bottom end, I am using a pair of 1970s "Hi-Fi" Answers transmission lines - Kef B139s; the rest being disconnected.

TLs are absolutlely essential for the organ music that I enjoy so much.

The midrange is handled by Jordan JX92s in semi-elliptical cabinets made from aluminium sheet and expanded foam, MDF and lead.

A generous friend has lent me a pair of Focal tweeters, but I do have Neos and Kelly ribbons in reserve.

This lot is driven by a number of eccentric amplifiers; more to come.

7N7

Re: Re: Odds & Soda

choky said:

talk,talk!!

It's true: honestly!

Tweeters: driven by stereo amp using 4 x QQV03-20 (as triodes) driven by two 7N7s (cathode follower cross-over) and four 14N7s
Mids: one side: Pair of QQV07-50s (trioded) driven by a pair of 6EW7s configured as gain stage and cathode followers.
Other side mid and bass driven by triode-strapped 13E1s, with 13D3 and 7N7 cathode followers
LH channel bass: Instock amplifier: 13D3/2 x D3A/6528

I am currently working on a stereo mid-range amplifier, about half built: This will use 2 x 7N7, 4 x E810F, 4 x YL1071/8116 triode strapped.

It's a slow business!

7N7

mini esl's

Sheldon
you have a great web-site. i have read the sections on dacs a few times but hadnt looked at the esl's.
they are very nice :)
i have heard a pair of esl63's powered by a 300b amp (pse -15w) and it sound great to my ears so esl sre on which list.
the mini esl's look wife friendly :cool:

rob

I think that a good loudspeaker for a tube amplifier must be easy to drive ("flat" impedence and high efficiency). A moderate low impedence must be tolerated for a desired sensibility if your OT have a low impedance output.
I built also a TQWT with a 215 bicone Supravox, but actually I use a three way dipole (see pic).
You can find the complete project on my site

http://www.audiofanatic.it/Progetti/tipolo/tipolo.html

My last project use a very cheap coaxial 8" RCF driver in a double reflex in series, a sensibility of 92-93 dB and a very regular impedence around 5 ohm

ciao
Filippo
www.audiofanatic.it

Attachments

• tipolo_front.jpg
    tipolo_front.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 360
Thanks for the kind words, the ESL's are really amazing. I keep gong back to the quad ESL's (and a pair of 63's I own) thinking that I must be deluding myself and that my speakers really suck. But myself and more friends seems to be of the same mind, that my speakers are significantly better than either pair of Quads. And enough better to inspire a couple fairly seasoned speaker designers to dabble in electrostatics.

Sheldon

...Simple is as simple does...

After years of designing and building different speakers and working with speaker manufacturers to produce better monitor speakers, I have given up on crossovers! I hate them!

So I've ended up with fullrange designs (or at least no cross-overs...)

In the office I use a pair of 4" full range in a small reflex cabinet.

In the workshop (or lab) I use a pair of Quasi.Mo.D.O. .

And I've just ordered a pair of BD-Designs Quasars . The site shows the MDF prototype that Bert is using to optimise the filter. The baffle on mine is being built from Plexiglass as my wife won't accept speakers this big in wood! Here is a picture of Bert standing beside the Quasar hat shows it's size :)

Attachments

• quasar and polaris and bert!!.gif
    quasar and polaris and bert!!.gif
    20 KB · Views: 310
Sheldon
do you find esl speakers to have a narrow 'sweet spot' or do some have an open focus point .
speakers are on my to do list and would like to have a speaker that was less pin point,to this end i have been looking at some of the kef speakers.
(my listening room is l shaped and there is a large sofa on the right hand side which ' pushes 'the image to the left and would like to get'around 'this )
James
neither of those would make it pass the wife test for me.:)

rob

I'm using Phy-Hp speakers on an opne baffle in combination with a visaton horn tweeter en two 15" JBL's as a sub. Goes pretty loud with my 300B amp.

I'm also using a small transmission line speaker with a 13cm podszus unit and a Eton dome tweeter. This combination has a efficiency of only 83 dB but goes loud enough. I'm using them mainly as background speakers. I don't want the reality of the Phy's all day long

My current ESL's are one continuous panel for 160Hz and up. This means it beams like crazy and has a fairly small sweet spot. The good part is it's dynamic as heck and doesn't excite the room like other more dispersive speakers. However, I'm helping a friend on a segmented wire stator esl project and it should be a whole lot more dispersive.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.